Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Misc Mss (Large) Box 1 Folder 15 Miscellaneous manuscripts (Large)
TitleMiscellaneous manuscripts (Large)
- Catholic Church
Other related names
- Mettler, Arnold, former owner
- Ege, Otto F, former owner
Call numberMisc Mss (Large) Box 1 Folder 15
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9947991693503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Leaf from a Cistercian missal containing texts from the Mass for Septuagesima Sunday, including readings from 1 Corinthians (9:24-10:4) and Matthew (20:1-10, incomplete). Written in Austria or southern Germany, in 24 long lines of a protogothic script. Decorated with 3 4-line initials, one each in red, green, and blue with a green checkerboard; 1 2-line initial in red; 1-line initials alternating red and green throughout; initials slashed with red; rubrics in red. Bound in full calf over boards with marbled endsheets by Edward Bayntun of Bayntun's of Bath.
Extent1 item (1 leaf) : 349 x 236 (250 x 163) mm
- Parent manuscript sold as part of the residue of the estate of Arnold Mettler of St. Gall at auction at Parke-Bernet Galleries, 30 Nov. 1948, lot 317, to Otto F. Ege.
- Leaf described in this record sold by the family of Cleveland manuscripts dealer Otto F. Ege at auction at Sotheby's, 26 Nov. 1985, lot 44.
- Sold by King Alfred's Notebook (Cayce, S.C.), cat. 2 (2010), no. 7.
- Manuscripts, Latin--12th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- 12th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Misc Mss (Large) Box 1 Folder 15: Miscellaneous manuscripts (Large) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.