Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Misc Mss (Large) Box 1 Folder 23 Miscellaneous manuscripts
- Cnipius, Johannes, d. 1586
Other related names
- Steitz, Georg Eduard, 1810-1879, former owner
Call numberMisc Mss (Large) Box 1 Folder 23
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9943058773503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageIn Latin, with a few words in Greek
Three poems in black and red ink in an italic hand (likely that of Johannes Cnipius) on a paper bifolium, in which Cnipius mocks Andreas Saxo. The first poem, beginning Odi sacrilegam perversum rellicuisse, seems to be mostly the work of Saxo, in red ink, with additions by Cnipius in black ink. The second poem, which Cnipius titles Specimen tou barbarismou Andreae Saxonis, dated 1557, is similarly a mix of words from Saxo and Cnipius in red and black. The third poem, titled Ode lyrica in Andream Saxonem, is by Cnipius, in black with red initials, and is a satire using the Alcaic meter of Horace's Ode 1.38. The end of the first and third poems are signed I.C.A. for Iohannes Cnipius Andronicus.
Extent1 item (1 leaf)
- Formerly owned by Georg Eduard Steitz (note dated 1860 in file).
- Sold by Helmuth Domizlaff (Munich), 1967.
- Manuscripts, Latin--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- Literature -- Poetry
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Misc Mss (Large) Box 1 Folder 23: Miscellaneous manuscripts are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.