Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1011 Croniques
- Escouchy, Mathieu d', b. 1420
- Gréban, Simon, d. ca. 1473
Call numberMs. Codex 1011
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 3778354
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1550 and 1599
A chronicle of the portion of the reign of Charles VII after 1444, with more than half focusing on the last decade of the Hundred Years' War and its conclusion in 1453, followed by an epitaph in verse for Charles VII attributed elsewhere to Simon Gréban and a short ballade.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title (f. 1r); Zacour-Hirsch uses the title Chroniques de Charles VII and suggests a date in the second half of the 16th century.
- Comparison of this manuscript of the Croniques with the printed edition (DuFresne de Beaucourt, ed., Société de l'histoire de France, 1863-64) indicates considerable variants; the Epitaphes were not included in the printed edition (Zacour-Hirsch).
- A partial acrostic of Simon Greban's name (SIMON GREB) appears in the first letters of the last nine lines before the last line of the Epitaphes (Aston).
Extent177 leaves : 340 x 210 (276 x 159) mm. bound to 349 x 230 mm
FoliationPaper, 177; two sets of near-contemporary numerals in ink, upper and lower right recto; the upper set is probably earlier, as some of them have been trimmed away.
- Appears in Bernard Quaritch's catalog 742 (1955), no. 6; purchased by Laurence Witten.
- Appears in Witten's catalog 5 (1962), no. 16.
- Purchased, 1962.
- Hundred Years' War, 1339-1453--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, French--16th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
2167_0001.tif (67.0 MB)
2167_0001_thumb.jpg (6.3 KB)
2167_0001_web.jpg (542.1 KB)