Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1034 Lecture notes
- Miller, Samuel, 1769-1850 Miller, Samuel, 1769-1850
- Magaw, Samuel, 1735-1812 Magaw, Samuel, 1735-1812
- Patterson, Robert, 1743-1824 Patterson, Robert, 1743-1824
- Blair, Hugh, 1718-1800 Blair, Hugh, 1718-1800
- Watts, Isaac, 1674-1748 Watts, Isaac, 1674-1748
Call numberMs. Codex 1034
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 3927390
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Notes taken by student Samuel Miller from lectures at the university and from printed sources. Sources include lectures by Samuel Magaw on moral philosophy and Robert Patterson on spherical trigonometry; Isaac Watts's Logick; and Hugh Blair's Lectures on rhetoric and belles lettres. At the end of the volume is a list of books, perhaps of Miller's own library; folio and quarto titles are listed, and the following page where the octavo titles would have been has been cut out. The titles are mostly for religious reference and devotional works. The final note is of a sum received from the Session to distribute to the poor, dated 23 December 1793 and noted as distributed.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent85 leaves : 323 x 186 mm. bound to 331 x 208 mm
FoliationPaper, ii (modern paper) + 170 + ii (modern paper); 1-34, 59-77, 79-89, 91-113, 121-166; pagination is contemporary with text and only appears in the sections of notes, which have unnumbered pages between them, including some title pages and indexing.
BindingLate 19th- or early 20th-century quarter leather; both covers are detached.
Numerous diagrams in the sections on spherical trigonometry and latitude and longitude.
- Gift of Ernest Hare Miller, 1915.
- Spherical trigonometry
- Books and reading--History--18th century
- Lecture notes
- Book catalogs
- Manuscripts, American--18th century
Inside front cover
1636_0001.tif (57.5 MB)
1636_0001_thumb.jpg (3.4 KB)
1636_0001_web.jpg (187.0 KB)