Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1045 Flavia
- Stefonio, Bernardino, 1560-1620 Stefonio, Bernardino, 1560-1620
Other related names
- Fairbridge, W. E, former owner
- Sauer, Hans, 1866-1939, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1045
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 3978015
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageLatin, with a prologue in Italian
- ca. 1620
Historical tragedy in five acts about the Flavians and Christians in the Roman Empire. The action of the play is set at the end of the first century and the main characters are Domitian, Flavius Clemens, Apollonius of Tyana, and John the Evangelist. This tragedy was first performed in 1600 and originally published in Rome in 1621.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. 3r).
- This is the same work as Titus Flavius et alii opera tragica manuscripta (Ms. Codex 924).
Extent175 leaves : 103 x 66 mm. bound to 117 x 80 mm
FoliationPaper, i (contemporary paper) + 175 + i (contemporary paper) leaves; [xii], 1-10, [ii], 11-28, , 30-147, 147-162, 164-194, 196, 196-256, 256, 258-295, 293-312, 303-304, 315-331, [iv]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners; page numbers in this record refer to the pagination in the text.
BindingContemporary calf, gold tooled with initials FC on front and back (Zacour-Hirsch); gauffered edges.
- Former owners include: W.E. Fairbridge (bookplate, inside upper cover); Hans Sauer (bookplate, p. i).
- Sold by H.A. Feisenberger (London), 1951.
- Christianity and other religions--Roman
- Persecution--History--Early church, ca. 30-600--Drama
- Jesuit drama, Latin (Medieval and modern)
- Manuscripts, Italian--17th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
1421_0001.tif (17.6 MB)
1421_0001_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
1421_0001_web.jpg (449.3 KB)