Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1052 Hebrew Bible
Call numberMs. Codex 1052
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4024283
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Written in Italy, possibly Modena, circa 1480 (Yarnall Library catalog).
- ca. 1480
Hebrew Bible with the Masorah.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Forms part of: Yarnall Collection.
Extent398 leaves : 214 x 144 (176 x 118 with commentary, 124 x 94 Bible text only) mm. bound to 215 x 158 mm
CollationParchment, 398; 1¹⁰(-1), 2-39¹⁰, 40¹⁰(-1); [1-398]; contemporary foliation, upper left recto, mostly trimmed away and only occasionally visible; modern foliation in pencil, lower left recto. Catchwords on the last verso of each gathering.
BindingContemporary stamped morocco.
Ornamental penwork around some catchwords.
- Ownership note at beginning of text suggests that the manuscript was owned by a descendant of Nehemiah of Modena (f. 1r). Another note, difficult to read, follows the Bible text, and may include the signature Abraham Judah, son of Yehiel of Camerino (f. 396r).
- Formerly owned by the Yarnall Library of Theology, St. Clement's Church (Philadelphia, Pa.); acquired by the Yarnall Library before 1933.
- Deposited with the Yarnall Library of Theology at the University of Pennsylvania, 1974.
- Glossed Bibles
- Manuscripts, Hebrew--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
1158_0001.tif (76.8 MB)
1158_0001_thumb.jpg (5.6 KB)
1158_0001_web.jpg (380.2 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover
Decoration: Seller's description, Inside front cover