Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1121 Des Feldprediger Waldecks geführtes Tagebuch während dem letzen americanisch sic Kriege
TitleDes Feldprediger Waldecks geführtes Tagebuch während dem letzen americanisch sic Kriege
- Waldeck, Philipp, 1750-1784 Waldeck, Philipp, 1750-1784
Other related names
- Rosengarten, J. G. 1835-1921, former owner
- Cronau, Rudolph, 1855-1939, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1121
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4259943
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- ca. 1780-1784
Diary kept by Philipp Waldeck, chaplain of the Third Waldeck Regiment, during the regiment's participation in the American Revolution on the side of the British. The diary begins with the departure of the regiment from Korbach (Hesse, Germany) on 20 May 1776, and ends with an entry on 11 March 1780, when the regiment was stationed in the vicinity of Pensacola, Florida. Throughout most of the manuscript the pages have headings that give the date and place, including localities in New York, New Jersey, Jamaica, and Florida. According to Marion Dexter Learned, this manuscript reflects editing (mainly deletions), in comparison to the manuscript version of the same diary that is owned by the New York Public Library (George Bancroft Collection), and likely was produced by Waldeck himself with an eye to presentation or publication. The manuscript ends abruptly and covers a shorter time span than the other version.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
Extent194 leaves : 199-206 x 163-169 (190 x 115) mm. bound to 206 x 175 mm
FoliationPaper, fols. 194. Contemporary (?) pagination in ink, upper outer corners: 1-147, 149-201, 201-343. Blank pages throughout the manuscript (about 20 leaves) are not paginated; only 1 page with text is unpaginated (f. 40r). Modern foliation in pencil lower right recto.
BindingContemporary (?) paper covers.
- Formerly owned by Prof. Dr. Schacht (Lemgo, Germany) (Learned).
- Formerly owned by Rudolph Cronau (New York); acquired from Schacht in or before 1907 (Learned).
- Gift of Joseph G. Rosengarten (Philadelphia), 1924 (note in pencil, f. 2r).
- Waldeck (Fürstentum).--Waldeckische Regiment, 3te
- Hessian mercenaries--Diaries
- Manuscripts, German--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
1012_0001.tif (72.1 MB)
1012_0001_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
1012_0001_web.jpg (305.8 KB)