Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 113 La chimie, couleurs, parfumerie
TitleLa chimie, couleurs, parfumerie
Call numberMs. Codex 113
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1580511
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Collection of recipes and instructions for making colors, perfumes, soap, dyes, engraving, illuminating, making marble paper, making mirrors, preserving wine, etc. Contains over 200 different recipes and instructions.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from spine. Title in Zacour-Hirsch is "Kunstbuechlein."
- Incipit and explicit: (p. 1) Contre faire une croix de corail ... (p. 65) lespace d'une heure.
- Writing on left-hand page goes into the gutter, suggesting that the manuscript was bound after it was written.
- Forms part of: Edgar F. Smith Memorial Collection.
Extent35 leaves : 173 x 115 mm. bound to 182 x 117 mm
CollationPaper, ii (17th-century paper) + 35 + ii (17th-century paper); [i], 1²⁶, 2⁸(-8); [ii], 1-65, [66-68]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corner.
Binding17th-century French vellum over pasteboards, with gold-stamped title on spine.
Ink drawing of a study lamp (p. 51).
- Acquired, 1960.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Chemistry--History--Early works to 1800
- Colors--Early works to 1800
- Dyes and dyeing--Early works to 1800
- Perfumes--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, French--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 51 — Drawing, Study lamp, p. 51
Inside front cover
3216_0001.tif (52.8 MB)
3216_0001_thumb.jpg (3.0 KB)
3216_0001_web.jpg (217.4 KB)
3216_0058.tif (52.8 MB)
3216_0058_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
3216_0058_web.jpg (374.2 KB)
Decoration: Drawing, Study lamp, p. 51