Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 113 La chimie, couleurs, parfumerie
TitleLa chimie, couleurs, parfumerie
Call numberMs. Codex 113
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9915805113503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Collection of recipes and instructions for making colors, perfumes, soap, dyes, engraving, illuminating, making marble paper, making mirrors, preserving wine, etc. Contains over 200 different recipes and instructions.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from spine. Title in Zacour-Hirsch is "Kunstbuechlein."
- Incipit and explicit: (p. 1) Contre faire une croix de corail ... (p. 65) lespace d'une heure.
- Writing on left-hand page goes into the gutter, suggesting that the manuscript was bound after it was written.
- Forms part of: Edgar F. Smith Memorial Collection.
Extent35 leaves : 173 x 115 mm. bound to 182 x 117 mm
CollationPaper, ii (17th-century paper) + 35 + ii (17th-century paper); [i], 1²⁶, 2⁸(-8); [ii], 1-65, [66-68]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corner.
Binding17th-century French vellum over pasteboards, with gold-stamped title on spine.
Ink drawing of a study lamp (p. 51).
- Acquired, 1960.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Chemistry--History--Early works to 1800
- Colors--Early works to 1800
- Dyes and dyeing--Early works to 1800
- Perfumes--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, French--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- Recipe book
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Codex 113: La chimie, couleurs, parfumerie are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- 51 — Drawing, Study lamp, p. 51
Inside front cover
3216_0001.tif (52.8 MB)
3216_0001_thumb.jpg (3.0 KB)
3216_0001_web.jpg (217.4 KB)
3216_0058.tif (52.8 MB)
3216_0058_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
3216_0058_web.jpg (374.2 KB)
Decoration: Drawing, Study lamp, p. 51