Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1135 Documents concerning the governance of Passau
TitleDocuments concerning the governance of Passau
- Wilhelm IV, Duke of Bavaria, 1493-1550 Wilhelm IV, Duke of Bavaria, 1493-1550
- Ludwig X, Herzog von Ober- und Niederbayern, 1495-1545 Ludwig X, Herzog von Ober- und Niederbayern, 1495-1545
- Ernest, of Bavaria, Archbishop and Elector of Cologne, 1554-1612 Ernest, of Bavaria, Archbishop and Elector of Cologne, 1554-1612
- Albert I, Holy Roman Emperor, ca. 1255-1308 Albert I, Holy Roman Emperor, ca. 1255-1308
- Bernhard, of Prambach, Bishop of Passau, d. 1313 Bernhard, of Prambach, Bishop of Passau, d. 1313
- Albert III, Duke of Austria, 1350-1395 Albert III, Duke of Austria, 1350-1395
- Leopold III, Duke of Austria, 1351-1386 Leopold III, Duke of Austria, 1351-1386
Call numberMs. Codex 1135
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4271401
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- after 1539
Collection of transcriptions of documents, dated 1290 to 1539, concerning the governance of the city of Passau, especially with respect to the relations between, and respective jurisdictions of the bishop of Passau, on the one hand, and the civil authorities (Bürgermaister, Richter und Rath; f. 62r) and citizenry (gemaine Bürgerschafft; f. 2r), on the other. Document 1 was issued by Wilhelm IV and Ludwig X, Dukes of Bavaria, on behalf of their brother Ernest of Bavaria, then administrator of the bishopric of Passau (Administrator des Stiffts Passau; f. 1r). It contains a series of 75 numbered articles of complaint (Irrung, f. 11r; Clagarticul, f. 49v) raised by Ernest against the civil authorities and citizenry of Passau. Document 2 is apparently a related agreement regulating the relations between the two parties, Ernest and the town of Passau. It ends with texts of oaths to be sworn to the bishop, or to his chosen mayor and council (f. 61r-62r). Document 3 represents a pronouncement issued by Albert I, Habsburg Duke of Austria, from his court at Nuremberg (Hof zu Nürnberg; f. 63r), settling a dispute between the town of Passau and the then bishop of Passau, Bernhard (Vernhardt; f. 62v) of Prambach; it ends with the text of an oath (f. 66r). Document 4 apparently corresponds to what is known as the Stadtbrief (town letter) of Bernhard, which established a new foundation for the law of the town. Document 5 contains pronouncements of Bishop Ernest, presented as an interpretation of the Stadtbrief (Erleuterung uber Bischof Bernharts Stattbrief; f. 74v). Documents 6-8 apparently relate to the settlement reached between Bishop Albert III von Winkel (Albrecht Bischof zu Passau; f. 93r) and the town of Passau through the intervention of Albert III and Leopold III, Habsburg Dukes of Austria, following the crisis of relations that occurred in 1364, when the town refused submission to the newly elected bishop.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent119 leaves : 300 x 196 (230 x 135) mm. bound to 306 x 209 mm
FoliationPaper, ii + 115 + ii; 1-115; contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto.
- Sold by H. Thomas Wenner (Osnabrück), 1962.
- Government records
- Church records
- Manuscripts, German--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
0389_0001.tif (62.7 MB)
0389_0001_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
0389_0001_web.jpg (264.7 KB)