Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize Ms. Codex 1137 Malefitzsachen veindlicher Bekhanntnusser ingefangen den 30 Maii anno 1572 ... etc.
TitleMalefitzsachen veindlicher Bekhanntnusser ingefangen den 30 Maii anno 1572 ... etc.
- Hutstocker, Johann, d. 1576
- Maximilian II, Holy Roman Emperor, 1527-1576
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1137
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9942717723503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Record of interrogations and testimonies in connection with criminal trials conducted by the imperial municipal court (Stadtgericht) in Vienna, from ca. May 1572 to July 1574 (f. 234r), with notations about judgments, including pardons and executions (with some dates in August 1574; f. 229r). Among the trials is that of Ilija Gregorić (Elias Gregoritsch, f. 104r; Gregoritz, f. 104v) and his followers for organizing and leading a peasant revolt in Croatia (Crabatischer Paurnkrieg, f. 104r-122v, and 151r-157v). Those proceedings are signed by Johann Hutstocker (Huetstockher, f. 122v and 157v), Stadtrichter (city judge) of Vienna; Hutstocker is known to have held that office from 1572 to 1573. Bound upside down with the trial records is a copy of a petition from Hutstocker (f. 234v-239v), addressed to the emperor, containing a reference to the present year 1572 (f. 239v). Hutstocker discusses the exercise of his duties in office and is possibly seeking a promotion. Following the petition is a table of contents (f. 241r) listing the trials in the volume by name of individual, with crosses marking those who were executed.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from cover.
Extent240 leaves : 295 x 194 mm. bound to 298 x 210 mm
FoliationPaper, i (later paper) + 240 + i (later paper); [3-9], 10-92, [i], 93-234, [235-241]; contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto, modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. Folios 1-2 are missing; occasionally numbers have been lost or are not legible.
BindingContemporary vellum, rebound (Zacour-Hirsch), with partially intact leather ties.
- Sold by Gsellius (Berlin), 1962.
- Criminal courts--Austria--Vienna--History
- Peasant uprisings--Europe
- Legal documents
- Manuscripts, German--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Oversize Ms. Codex 1137: Malefitzsachen veindlicher Bekhanntnusser ingefangen den 30 Maii anno 1572 ... etc. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
1623_0001.tif (56.2 MB)
1623_0001_thumb.jpg (3.2 KB)
1623_0001_web.jpg (227.5 KB)