Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 115 Ricettario
- Nola, Giovanni da Nola, Giovanni da
- Bernardinus, scribe Bernardinus, scribe
Call numberMs. Codex 115
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1580513
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageItalian and Latin
- ca. 1530
Collection of remedies against a great variety of ills, sometimes indicating the source of the information. Begins imperfectly. Several sources are indicated: Alcuin (p. 3); Conte De'Altavilla (p. 12); Conte de Urbino (p. 17); Raynaldo de Villanova (p. 22); and Duca de Calabria (pp. 48, 50). The last two recipes are slightly later additions (p. 62).
- Ms. codex.
- Title and attribution supplied by cataloger (Zacour-Hirsch); p. 61 attributes it to Johannes de Nola. This might be the 16th-century writer Giovanni Andrea Nola.
- Badly stained in upper inner corner of each page; this stain has caused some text on each page to become faded or obliterated. Possible mildew damage on upper inner edge of parchment cover. Dealer's description suggests this might be due to a chemical spilled on the manuscript by an alchemist.
- Short dealer's description in Italian on file in the Library; probably from Olschki catalogue, 9/26/1957.
- Forms part of: Edgar F. Smith Memorial Collection.
Extent29 leaves : 147 x 110 (110 x 80) mm. bound to 151 x 113 mm
CollationPaper, 29; 1³⁰(-1); 3-40, 43-62; contemporary pagination in ink, upper right recto.
Bindingbound in a parchment manuscript fragment of an unnoted hymnal, German, mid 13th century (includes St. Elizabeth of Hungary, canonized in 1235). Binding work appears to be contemporary with the manuscripts.
Red used for headings.
- Leo S. Olschki (Florence): bookseller's bookplate inner front cover, inv. no. 47428, appears in catalog 54 (26 Sept. 1957), no. 5; old shelf number (16) on front cover.
- Acquired, 1957.
- Materia medica--Early works to 1800
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Pharmacy--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- Inside front cover — Bookplate, Inside front cover
Inside front cover
0552_0001.tif (35.4 MB)
0552_0001_thumb.jpg (8.0 KB)
0552_0001_web.jpg (395.3 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover