Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1155 Selected speeches of Cicero
TitleSelected speeches of Cicero
- Ernesti, Johann Christian Gottlieb, 1756-1802 Ernesti, Johann Christian Gottlieb, 1756-1802
- Cicero, Marcus Tullius Cicero, Marcus Tullius
Other related names
- Leutsch, Ernst von, 1808-1887, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1155
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9942948453503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Selected speeches of Cicero as translated into German from the original Latin by Johann Christian Gottlieb Ernesti. The manuscript is believed to be in Ernesti's own hand, with many corrections that appear to be in the same hand. It is divided into 8 sections, each of which is subdivided into chapters. The materials covered in the 8 sections is as follows: 1. The 4 Catiline orations (In Catilinam), in chapters numbered 1-13, 1-13, 1-12, and 1-11, respectively; 2. Speech on behalf of Titus Annius Milo (Pro Milone), in chapters numbered 1-38; 3. Speech on behalf of Sextus Roscius of Ameria (Pro Sex. Roscio Ameriae), in chapters numbered 1-53; 4. Speech on behalf of the poet Aulus Licinius Archias (Pro Archia Poeta), in chapters numbered 1-12; 5. Speech in defense of the proposed Manilian law (Pro Lege Manilia), in chapters numbered 1-24; 6. Speech on behalf of Marcellus (Pro Marcello), in chapters numbered 1-11; 7. The orator (Ad M. Brutum Orator), in chapters numbered 21-71; and 8. Brutus, in chapters numbered 7-56. Section 8 begins, after a separate title page (f. 159r) and 3 blank leaves, with a paragraph that lacks a chapter heading, followed by the heading for chapter 7 (f. 163r); chapters 47-56 of this section have been renumbered in the margins as chapters 56-65, and the section ends abruptly with a heading for chapter 57 that is not followed by any text. A characteristic pen flourish underlining the last line of the text marks the end of all of the sections except for 8.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent210 leaves : 206-208 x 174 (195 x 125) mm. bound to 226 x 186 mm
FoliationPaper, ii (newer paper) + 206 + ii (newer paper); modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
- Formerly part of the library of Ernst von Leutsch, professor of classics at the University of Göttingen, purchased by the University of Pennsylvania before 1891.
- Speeches, addresses, etc., Latin--Translations into German
- Manuscripts, German--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1155: Selected speeches of Cicero are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
6102_0001.tif (29.8 MB)
6102_0001_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
6102_0001_web.jpg (350.8 KB)