Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1183 Brandenburg documents
- Albrecht Achilles, Elector of Brandenburg, 1414-1486 Albrecht Achilles, Elector of Brandenburg, 1414-1486
- Joachim I, Elector of Brandenburg, 1484-1535 Joachim I, Elector of Brandenburg, 1484-1535
- Joachim II, Elector of Brandenburg, 1505-1571 Joachim II, Elector of Brandenburg, 1505-1571
- Johann Georg, Elector of Brandenburg, 1525-1598 Johann Georg, Elector of Brandenburg, 1525-1598
- Joachim Friedrich, Elector of Brandenburg, 1546-1608 Joachim Friedrich, Elector of Brandenburg, 1546-1608
- Johann Sigismund, Elector of Brandenburg, 1572-1619 Johann Sigismund, Elector of Brandenburg, 1572-1619
- Friedrich Wilhelm, Elector of Brandenburg, 1620-1688 Friedrich Wilhelm, Elector of Brandenburg, 1620-1688
- Frederick I, King of Prussia, 1657-1713 Frederick I, King of Prussia, 1657-1713
Call numberMs. Codex 1183
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4313754
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageGerman, with 2 documents predominantly in Latin (pp. 455-552, 732-742); some occurrences of titles or extended passages in Latin (pp. 149, 811, 831); and many documents containing significant numbers of Latin phrases
- between 1644 and 1714?
Collection of 103 diverse documents, dated 1472 to 1714, related to the government of the Markgrafschaft (margraviate) of Brandenburg, mostly in the form of undated transcriptions. Included is one document that appears to be an original, dated 1644 and showing the remnants of a red wax seal (p. 552); and others from the late seventeenth century that might be contemporary copies (one dated 1664 with fold lines and a handwritten label, p. 916). The majority of the documents were issued by or in the name of the reigning ruler, the Markgraf (margrave) of Brandenburg, who was also a prince-elector (Kurfürst) within the Holy Roman Empire. Documents are included from the following 8 rulers: Albrecht, Joachim I, Joachim II, Johann Georg, Joachim Friedrich, Johann Sigismund, Friedrich Wilhelm, and Friedrich III (known as Friedrich I, King of Prussia, after 1701). Main genres of documents include parliamentary agreements (Landtags Recesse); edicts, proclamations, or decrees from the ruler (Rescripti; Ausschreiben); resolutions issued by the supreme court (Cammergericht); and regulations (Policeij Ordnungen; Verordnungen). Included are attestations or opinions (Urtheile; Responsi) issued by the law faculties (juristische Fakultäten) of the universities of Rostock, Frankfurt an der Oder, Helmstedt, and Halle. The documents relate to diverse issues, including the restructuring of the supreme court; matters of general communal well-being (gemeinen Nutz; weights and measures, game, salaries of servants and laborers, public lands); the granting of privileges; coinage (Münze); usury; guilds; inheritance; marriage of Jews; contracts; public finance; duties; and church property. The volume includes a table of contents (pp. [v-xii]).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent504 leaves : 313-328 x 190-205 mm. bound to 340 x 220 mm
FoliationPaper, i (newer paper) + vi + 493 + iii + i (newer paper). Contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners: [v-xii], 1-6, 11-990 (pp. 7-10 are missing, and pp. 206-214 are blank).
BindingModern calf (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Sold by Ivan Volkoff (Pasadena, Calif.), 1968.
- Government records
- Manuscripts, German--17th century
- Manuscripts, German--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
2814_0001.tif (63.1 MB)
2814_0001_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
2814_0001_web.jpg (208.6 KB)