Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1197 Documents concerning the government of the Duchy of Sachsen-Lauenburg
TitleDocuments concerning the government of the Duchy of Sachsen-Lauenburg
- Plato, Johannes Plato, Johannes
- Bülow, Joachim Werner von, 1653-1724 Bülow, Joachim Werner von, 1653-1724
- Wittorf, Friedrich August von Wittorf, Friedrich August von
- Zielmann, Uldrich Zielmann, Uldrich
- Dalhoff, Herloff Dalhoff, Herloff
- Franz II, Herzog von Sachsen-Lauenburg, 1547-1619 Franz II, Herzog von Sachsen-Lauenburg, 1547-1619
- Rudolf II, Holy Roman Emperor, 1552-1612 Rudolf II, Holy Roman Emperor, 1552-1612
- Erstenberg, Andreas von, d. 1592 Erstenberg, Andreas von, d. 1592
- Vieheuser, Sigmund, d. 1587 Vieheuser, Sigmund, d. 1587
- Gerdenstein, Bartold von Gerdenstein, Bartold von
- Schultz, Hieronimus Schultz, Hieronimus
- Lützow, Otto Lützow, Otto
- Daldorp, Hans Daldorp, Hans
- August, Herzog von Sachsen-Lauenburg, 1577-1656 August, Herzog von Sachsen-Lauenburg, 1577-1656
- Ferdinand II, Holy Roman Emperor, 1578-1637 Ferdinand II, Holy Roman Emperor, 1578-1637
- Soldner, Johann Soldner, Johann
- Stralendorf, Peter Heinrich, Freiherr von, d. 1637 Stralendorf, Peter Heinrich, Freiherr von, d. 1637
- Julius Heinrich, Herzog von Sachsen-Lauenburg, 1586-1665 Julius Heinrich, Herzog von Sachsen-Lauenburg, 1586-1665
- Franz Erdmann, Herzog von Sachsen-Lauenburg, 1629-1666 Franz Erdmann, Herzog von Sachsen-Lauenburg, 1629-1666
- Julius Franz, Herzog von Sachsen-Lauenburg, 1641-1689 Julius Franz, Herzog von Sachsen-Lauenburg, 1641-1689
- George I, King of Great Britain, 1660-1727 George I, King of Great Britain, 1660-1727
- George II, King of Great Britain, 1683-1760 George II, King of Great Britain, 1683-1760
- Hattorf, Philip von Hattorf, Philip von
Call numberMs. Codex 1197
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4321448
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageGerman, with Latin in the rubric, opening lines, notary attestations, and seals (pp. [i], [viii], 28, 133, 112, 120, 127, and 242)
- ca. 1718, 1729
Collection of copies of 22 documents, dated 1584 to 1729, mainly pertaining to the estates of knights and landowners (Ritter- und Landschaft; p. [ii]) in the Duchy of Saxony-Lauenburg, or Saxe-Lauenburg (Herzogtum Sachsen-Lauenburg), also known simply as the Duchy of Lauenburg, a historical region around the cities of Lauenburg and Ratzeburg that existed as a separate entity with its own line of dukes from 1260 to 1689, and was then absorbed into the Duchy of Braunschweig-Lüneburg, which subsequently became the Electorate of Hannover. In their own time the dukes of Saxony-Lauenburg carried the title Duke of Saxony (Herzog zu Sachsen). The area corresponds to what is today the district of Herzogtum Lauenburg in the southeast of the German federal state of Schleswig-Holstein. The collection is prefaced by a narrative introduction (pp. [i-viii]), written in Hamburg, 18 February 1690 (p. [i]), and evidently transcribed around 1718. The introduction, which pertains specifically to documents 1-20, explains that the copies were prepared by the notary Johannes Plato in at the request of Joachim Werner von Bülow, of Gudow, and Friedrich August von Wittorf, of Lüdersburg, and witnessed by Uldrich Zielmann and Herloff Dalhoff (p. [i]). The introduction contains a table of contents for those 20 documents, including physical details about the originals from which the copies were made (pp. [ii-viii]). Document 21, dated 1718, is followed by a copy of the seal of Joachim Werner von Bülow (Hofrichter Land Marschall, unseres Hertzogthums Lauenburg; p. 242), and appears to be in the same hand as documents 1-20. Document 22, dated 1729, is in a different hand. In the introduction as well as many of the documents, references to Lower Saxony (Nieder Sachsen; pp. [i-ii], 29, 45), and use of the modifier Lower Saxon (nieder-sächsisch; pp. 25, 53), evidently relate to the Lower Saxon district or circle (Kreis) within the Holy Roman Empire, to which the Duchy of Saxony-Lauenburg belonged at that time, although the region is not part of present-day Lower Saxony. Documents 2 and 3, issued by Emperor Rudolf II, were prepared by court secretary Andreas Erstenberg and signed by the imperial vice chancellor Sigmund Vieheuser (pp. 23, 28). Documents 4 and 11 include the names of individual signers on behalf of the Ritter- und Landschaft (pp. 42-43, 147). In the case of document 6, issued by the mayors and council members (Bürgermeister und Rahtmänner; p. 58) of the cities of Lauenburg and Ratzeburg, individual signers are not given. Document 7, issued by Duke Franz II, was apparently witnessed by Bartold von Gerdenstein, Hieronimus Schultz, Otto Lüzow and Hans Daldorp (p. 84). Document 10, issued by Emperor Ferdinand II, was prepared by court secretary Johann Soldner and signed by imperial vice chancellor Peter Heinrich von Stralendorf (p. 133). It contains transcriptions of 3 documents issued by Duke August in 1629 (two on 6 May and one on 22 May). Documents 21 and 22, issued by King George I and King George II, respectively, were both signed by Philip von Hattorf, Hanoverian minister.
- Ms. codex.
- Title of codex and of documents 21 and 22 supplied by cataloger. Titles of documents 1-20 from caption titles.
Extent266 leaves : 318 x 192 (250-260 x 140-150) mm. bound to 325 x 218 mm
FoliationPaper, i + 126 + cxxxix; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners: [i-viii], 1-232; modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners, 233-244 (followed by 139 blank leaves). Catchwords scattered throughout after document 8.
BindingContemporary half calf (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Sold by Habelet (or Hablet), 1969.
- Government records
- Manuscripts, German--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
3466_0001.tif (58.3 MB)
3466_0001_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
3466_0001_web.jpg (281.7 KB)