Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize Ms. Codex 1209 Account book
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1209
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9943226363503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
An account book of an unidentified merchant who traded in wheat, rye, and wine. Prices of various transactions are recorded in the margins. Most of the entries are from the years 1492 and 1493. The merchant was also involved in the repair of mills in the areas of Labastide-Beauvoir, Montgiscard, Villefranche, Caraman, Haute-Garonne, and other areas southeast of Toulouse. This section contains the location name, followed by a table of personal names and prices next to them, possibly designating sums owed to the unknown merchant. The records of mill repairs appear at the end of the codex (f. 47r-53v). There are several blank pages in the middle (f. 10v-12v and f. 40v-46r) and at the end of the codex (f. 54r-59v).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Incipit: Comptes de la ma[-]rsandis... (f. 1r).
WatermarkBriquet, Tête de bœuf 14417.
Extent59 leaves : 310 x 215 (265 x 160) mm. bound to 275 x 220 mm
FoliationPaper, 59 leaves; [1-59]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto; contemporary foliation in ink numbered 1-29 in upper right recto is added between f. 13 and f. 41; all references in the record are to the modern foliation.
BindingDisbound, but quires still sewn together; upper cover is a near-contemporary Latin document written on vellum and is stored with the manuscript; lower cover missing.
- Purchased in 1968.
- Account books
- Manuscripts, French--15th century
- Manuscripts, Provençal--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 15th century
- Financial records
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1209: Account book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Original front cover, Side 1
1897_0121.tif (23.2 MB)
1897_0121_thumb.jpg (4.9 KB)
1897_0121_web.jpg (232.4 KB)