Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 124 Raccolta di celebri arcani chimici da diversi famosi filosofi dati in luce et esperimentati
TitleRaccolta di celebri arcani chimici da diversi famosi filosofi dati in luce et esperimentati
- Catholic Church
Call numberMs. Codex 124
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9915805403503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageItalian, with some Latin
Chemical/alchemical work (p. 1-154), preceded by an explanation of astronomical and chemical symbols and by a table of contents (p. [vii]-[xii] before p. 1), to which page references were added by the same hand that added the pagination. Begins (p. 1) with a chapter on "lapis philosophorum" and continues with astrological, alchemical and pharmaceutical sections, e.g. Sole di Fra Giorgio d'Armenia; sole in mercurio; lavoro mercuriale; oglio d'antimonio' sale di vitriolo; purificatione di mercurio; ad morbum gallicum. Also includes a litany of the Blessed Virgin (p.158-159), very similar to the Litany of Loreto.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. [v]).
- Incipit and explicit: (p. 1) Philosophorum lapidis. Confectio sincerissima a quodam philosopho ... (p. 154) confortat in agonia.
- Forms part of: Edgar F. Smith Memorial Collection.
Extent88 leaves : 197 x 142 (178 x 116) mm. bound to 207 x 141 mm
CollationPaper, i (17th-century paper) + 88 + i (17th-century paper); 1¹⁰(-1) 2-8¹⁰ 9¹⁰(-1); [x], 1-166; pagination in ink in a somewhat later hand, upper outer corners. Signatures on first recto and last verso of each quire, lower inner corner. Catchwords in lower right corner, each page.
Binding17th-century Italian half vellum. Cover starting to pull loose, particularly at inside front hinge. Manuscript was trimmed for rebinding and edges sprinkled with red.
Alchemical symbols throughout; a few manicules (p. 31, 82).
- Formerly owned by Otto Orren Fisher (bookplate, inside upper cover); description from unidentified dealer's catalogue (inside lower cover).
- Acquired, 1963.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Astrology--Early works to 1800
- Astronomy--Early works to 1800
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Pharmacology--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- Recipe book
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Ms. Codex 124: Raccolta di celebri arcani chimici da diversi famosi filosofi dati in luce et esperimentati are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- Inside front cover — Bookplate, Inside front cover
Inside front cover
1450_0001.tif (68.8 MB)
1450_0001_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
1450_0001_web.jpg (374.6 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover