Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize Ms. Codex 1252 Lettere havute da Monsignor Zuccati
TitleLettere havute da Monsignor Zuccati
- Zuccati, Giovanni Battista
- Jerin, Andreas, Bishop of Wrocław
- Centurione, Alessandro, Archbishop of Genoa
- Batensis, Sebastianus Friar
- Vossius, Gerardus, ca. 1540-1609
- Beni, Paolo, 1552 or 3-1625
Other related names
- Gaetano, Camillo, recipient
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1252
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9943862193503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageLatin, with some Italian (f. 5r-7v, 13r-15v, 46r-51v) and Spanish (f. 9r-11v)
A collection of 25 letters, with seals. The letters predominantly deal with various church issues, and are mostly from church and papal officials either in Rome, Poland, or Prague. Some of the letters refer to heresy, others mention Jesuits, one mentions the election of Pope Gregory XIV (f. 43r), and one mentions flooding of the Tiber and Arno rivers in Rome in 1589 (f. 25r). Another letter speaks of the Viennese anti-Lutheran Georg Eder (f. 1r-2v), while a later one refers to the abbey official Georg Kirchmair (f. 37r-38v) of Brixen. Some of the frequent recipients include the viscount of Milan and apostolic nuncio Alphonsus (or Alfonso), Giovanni Battista Zuccati, Gerardus Vossius, Paolo Beni, and the patriarch of Alexandria and apostolic nuncio Camillo Gaetano. Some of the senders include Sebastianus Batensis, Alessandro Centurione of Genoa, and bishop Andreas Jerin of Wrocław. The letters are numbered 1-25 in pencil, upper right recto. Each letter contains a wax seal, and some have notarial signets.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from spine.
Extent56 leaves : 280-320 x 210 mm. bound to 330 x 225 mm
FoliationPaper, 56 + i (contemporary paper); [1-56]; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. Front endleaf is lacking; back endleaf is stuck to lower cover.
BindingBound in contemporary vellum (Zacour-Hirsch), with remnants of cloth ties on outer edges of covers.
- Formerly owned by Giovanni Battista Zuccati (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Sold by Renzo Rizzi (Milan), 1967.
- Catholic Church.--Archdiocese of Wrocław (Poland)
- Jesuits--History--16th century
- Heresies, Christian
- Notarial documents
- Manuscripts, Latin--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Oversize Ms. Codex 1252: Lettere havute da Monsignor Zuccati are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
1532_0001.tif (76.8 MB)
1532_0001_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
1532_0001_web.jpg (212.0 KB)
Inside back cover (Endleaf stuck to back cover)
1532_0114.tif (76.8 MB)
1532_0114_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
1532_0114_web.jpg (217.4 KB)