Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1252 Lettere havute da Monsignor Zuccati
TitleLettere havute da Monsignor Zuccati
- Zuccati, Giovanni Battista Zuccati, Giovanni Battista
- Jerin, Andreas, Bishop of Wrocław Jerin, Andreas, Bishop of Wrocław
- Centurione, Alessandro, Archbishop of Genoa Centurione, Alessandro, Archbishop of Genoa
- Batensis, Sebastianus Friar Batensis, Sebastianus Friar
- Vossius, Gerardus, ca. 1540-1609 Vossius, Gerardus, ca. 1540-1609
- Beni, Paolo, 1552 or 3-1625 Beni, Paolo, 1552 or 3-1625
Other related names
- Gaetano, Camillo, recipient
Call numberMs. Codex 1252
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4386219
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageLatin, with some Italian (f. 5r-7v, 13r-15v, 46r-51v) and Spanish (f. 9r-11v)
A collection of 25 letters, with seals. The letters predominantly deal with various church issues, and are mostly from church and papal officials either in Rome, Poland, or Prague. Some of the letters refer to heresy, others mention Jesuits, one mentions the election of Pope Gregory XIV (f. 43r), and one mentions flooding of the Tiber and Arno rivers in Rome in 1589 (f. 25r). Another letter speaks of the Viennese anti-Lutheran Georg Eder (f. 1r-2v), while a later one refers to the abbey official Georg Kirchmair (f. 37r-38v) of Brixen. Some of the frequent recipients include the viscount of Milan and apostolic nuncio Alphonsus (or Alfonso), Giovanni Battista Zuccati, Gerardus Vossius, Paolo Beni, and the patriarch of Alexandria and apostolic nuncio Camillo Gaetano. Some of the senders include Sebastianus Batensis, Alessandro Centurione of Genoa, and bishop Andreas Jerin of Wrocław. The letters are numbered 1-25 in pencil, upper right recto. Each letter contains a wax seal, and some have notarial signets.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from spine.
Extent56 leaves : 280-320 x 210 mm. bound to 330 x 225 mm
FoliationPaper, 56 + i (contemporary paper); [1-56]; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. Front endleaf is lacking; back endleaf is stuck to lower cover.
BindingBound in contemporary vellum (Zacour-Hirsch), with remnants of cloth ties on outer edges of covers.
- Formerly owned by Giovanni Battista Zuccati (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Sold by Renzo Rizzi (Milan), 1967.
- Catholic Church.--Archdiocese of Wrocław (Poland)
- Jesuits--History--16th century
- Heresies, Christian
- Notarial documents
- Manuscripts, Latin--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
1532_0001.tif (76.8 MB)
1532_0001_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
1532_0001_web.jpg (212.0 KB)
Inside back cover (Endleaf stuck to back cover)
1532_0114.tif (76.8 MB)
1532_0114_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
1532_0114_web.jpg (217.4 KB)