Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1267 Summa de vitiis
TitleSumma de vitiis
- Guilelmus Peraldus, ca. 1190-1271 Guilelmus Peraldus, ca. 1190-1271
Call numberMs. Codex 1267
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4416421
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1475 and 1499
A 15th-century manuscript of 13th-century meditations on vice. The work focuses on the proper manner of living without sin, mostly through an examination of the conscience, and the types of sins and vices inherent in many people. Begins by referring to the seven cardinal sins (p. 1). Some of the vices listed include fornication (p. 1), adultery (p. 14), and pride (p. 128). The work also discusses the sins of women in particular (p. 15-21). Includes some discussion on virtues, as well, such as valor (p. 244). Divided into a series of smaller treatises, some initials are slashed in red ink, and some headings are in red ink, as well. Contains marginal notes in another hand. Has blank spaces for larger initials throughout. Leaf on inside back cover contains recipes.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from explicit of predominant work (p. 226).
- Incipit and explicit for Work 2: [p. 226] Arrogantia est gloriari Deo quod non acceperis placendi cupiditate; ... [p. 224] eternam Dei gloriam cum angelis dei perpetualiter possidere dignus efficietur.
WatermarkTower or column topped with a five-pointed crown (example on p. 244).
Extent124 leaves : 280 x 215-225 (220 x 160) mm. bound to 280 x 215 mm
FoliationPaper, 124 leaves; [1-248]; modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary pigskin over wooden boards, with guards from 14th-century (Zacour-Hirsch), nails in the corners with flower-like imprints around them, and a leather tie with a metal clasp attached to the lower cover.
- Sold by Gerald Rosen (1960), Berlin.
- Previously owned by the monastery of Saint Pancras in Ranshofen (p. 243).
- Conduct of life--Early works to 1800
- Virtues--Early works to 1800
- Vices--Early works to 1800
- Deadly sins
- Conscience, Examination of
- Manuscripts, Latin--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
1259_0001.tif (62.0 MB)
1259_0001_thumb.jpg (7.0 KB)
1259_0001_web.jpg (489.2 KB)
Decoration: Reused manuscript leaf pastedown, Inside front cover
1259_0002.tif (62.0 MB)
1259_0002_thumb.jpg (6.5 KB)
1259_0002_web.jpg (450.6 KB)
Section: Summa de vitiis, p. 1
1259_0227.tif (62.0 MB)
1259_0227_thumb.jpg (7.0 KB)
1259_0227_web.jpg (460.4 KB)
Section: De singulis vitiis, p. 226
Inside back cover
1259_0250.tif (62.0 MB)
1259_0250_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
1259_0250_web.jpg (396.0 KB)
Decoration: Reused manuscript leaf pastedown, Inside back cover