Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1316 Consultas y resoluciones sobre controversias con los tribunales de la Ynquisicion
TitleConsultas y resoluciones sobre controversias con los tribunales de la Ynquisicion
- Esteban de Higareda, Ignacio Esteban de Higareda, Ignacio
Other related names
- Osequera, Andrés, former owner
- Lea, Henry Charles, 1825-1909, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1316
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4435760
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageSpanish, with words and passages in Latin (f. 119r-211v)
Records from three communications of the Royal Council of Castile concerning the jurisdiction of the Spanish Inquisition, protocol regarding the immunity of the inquisitors and their families, the correction and limitation of certain excesses of the inquisitors, and the expurgation and prohibition of books and papers. The first council dates from 1696, the same year Charles II assembled the Junta Magna or Great Council, which investigated the Inquisition and apparently produced such a damning report that it was destroyed before the more competent Philip V took the throne in 1700. Numerous references to the last two royal confessors of Charles II, Pedro Matilla and Froilán Díaz, appear in this section. Also of interest is the third council, which addresses the censorship of books and writings in Spanish America, including the case of the bishop of Puebla, Mexico, Juan de Palafox y Mendoza.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
- Text from 1696 (f. 5r-74v) also appears in Ms. Codex 1318, Rare Book & Manuscript Library, University of Pennsylvania.
WatermarkSimilar to Valls i Subirá, Costas, 278, 279, but with the initials J T at the base separated by a small heart; tower mark of the Guarro family with a possible half mark (f. 68-70,112).
Extent214 leaves : 310 x 205 (285 x 140) mm bound to 320 x 220 mm
FoliationPaper, i + 214 + i; [i, 1-213]; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto.
BindingContemporary quarter calf, with now detached ribbon bookmark.
Ornamental headings and one large initial in ink (f. 5r-6r).
- Formerly owned by Andrés Osequera (inscription, f. 1r); Henry Charles Lea.
- Jurisdiction (Ecclesiastical law)--Spain--Early works to 1800
- Inquisition--Spain--Early works to 1800
- Inquisition--Mexico--Early works to 1800
- Censorship--Spain--History--18th century
- Church and state--Spain--Early works to 1800
- Government records
- Manuscripts, Spanish--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- fol. 6r — Decorated initial, Initial E, f. 6r
Inside front cover
2334_0001.tif (63.7 MB)
2334_0001_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
2334_0001_web.jpg (298.5 KB)
2334_0016.tif (63.7 MB)
2334_0016_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
2334_0016_web.jpg (214.4 KB)
Decoration: Decorated initial, Initial E, f. 6r