Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 132 Liber dispensationum
- Sinibaldi, Giacomo, 1630-1704
Call numberMs. Codex 132
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1551757
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Contains descriptions of 84 pharmaceutical prescriptions. Additions in different contemporary or near-contemporary hands include: "oleum de Mattioli," "electuarium diatartari," "laudan liquido," "polipodia" stomatica," "syrupus Terebinti Malpichi," and others. This manuscript has the appearance of an official pharmacopaea of a hospital, possibly Sancta Sanctorum in S. Giovanni al Laterano in Rome (Zacour-Hirsch). Includes notations by physicians dating from 1693 to 1768, among them: Johannes Tirillius (or Triellius ; 1693, f. 9r); Lucas Thomasinus (1740, f. 9r); Vinc. Ant. Gattucius (1710, f. 10v); Jacobus Sinibaldus (i.e., Giacomo Sinibaldi; 1695, f. 11v); Hieronymus Caruccius (1753, f. 14v); Ant. Gabrielli (1703, f. 16v); Paulus Manfredus; and many others. Most signatures appear after the note, "Vidi et approbavi."
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
- Incipit and explicit (f. 2r) Theriaca Democrate ex Galeni ... (f. 91r) vel sii acetosi q. s. f massa.
- No signatures. Some catchwords, lower right corner of some versos (not necessarily at end of quire).
Extent91 leaves :
Binding17th-century Italian limp parchment over pasteboard. Cover badly deteriorated; split at edges, peeling away from pasteboard; pulling away from book block at spine; large piece missing from bottom of lower cover. There is a great deal of writing and doodling on the outside covers. Stains of various types; some oxidation of ink.
Elaborate pen-and-ink title page, with red and green highlighting (f. 1r). The folio between f. 27-28 lacks the ink border that all the other folios have.
- Provenance: V. Berrelli, 18th century (signature, inside upper cover); illegible ex libris stamp, inside upper cover; Bernard M. Rosenthal Catalogue XV, p. 13 (no. 31) (description clipped from Catalogue on file in the Library).
- Acquired, 1967.
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Pharmacology--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Latin--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
- fol. 1r — Decorated border, f. 1r
Inside front cover
1192_0001.tif (37.6 MB)
1192_0001_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
1192_0001_web.jpg (276.9 KB)
1192_0002.tif (37.6 MB)
1192_0002_thumb.jpg (9.0 KB)
1192_0002_web.jpg (522.0 KB)
Decoration: Decorated border, f. 1r