Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1329 De Canticis canticorum
TitleDe Canticis canticorum
- Haimo, of Auxerre, d. ca. 855 Haimo, of Auxerre, d. ca. 855
Call numberMs. Codex 1329
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4439968
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1200 and 1230?
13th-century copy of Haimo's 9th-century commentary on the Song of Solomon, with an unusual layout presenting the biblical lemmata in the margins enclosed in decorated circles and triangles. The commentary is allegorical, interpreting the Song of Songs as describing the marriage of Christ and the Church. Chapter divisions are added in the margins in a later medieval hand. This text is also known as the Commentarius in cantica canticorum or Expositio in cantica canticorum and has been attributed to Haimo of Halberstadt, Remigius Altissiodorensis, Cassiodorus, and Thomas Aquinas. The commentary is followed by an unidentified introduction to the Song of Songs.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title (f. 1r).
- The text of this manuscript belongs to a group of manuscripts known as the William family, named after William of Volpiano, founder of the monastery of Fruttuaria, about 20 miles from Savigliano (Burton Van Edwards).
Extent59 leaves : 148 x 100 (98-102 x 56-60) mm. bound to 154 x 110 mm
CollationParchment, 59; 1-7⁸ 8³; horizontal catchwords on the last verso of gatherings 1, 2, and 7 (f. 8v, 16v, 56v); modern foliation in pencil, [1-59], lower right recto.
BindingLeather, probably 15th-century (Les Enluminures).
- Held in the library of the Benedictine monastery of St. Peter's in Savigliano in the 15th century, manuscript no. 31 (f. 1r).
- Sold by Les Enluminures (Paris and Chicago), 2008.
- Manuscripts, Latin--13th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1329: De Canticis canticorum are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Table of contents
Inside front cover
4940_0001.tif (39.0 MB)
4940_0001_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
4940_0001_web.jpg (359.2 KB)
4940_0002.tif (39.5 MB)
4940_0002_thumb.jpg (6.5 KB)
4940_0002_web.jpg (418.3 KB)
Section: Commentary on the Song of Songs, f. 1r
4940_0116.tif (40.8 MB)
4940_0116_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
4940_0116_web.jpg (409.1 KB)
Section: Prayer, f. 58r
4940_0117.tif (38.9 MB)
4940_0117_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
4940_0117_web.jpg (362.5 KB)
Section: Introduction to the Song of Songs, f. 58v