Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1363 Informe de la causa y proceso fulminado contra el padre maestro Froilan Diaz, confesor del rey nuestro señor don Carlos Segundo
TitleInforme de la causa y proceso fulminado contra el padre maestro Froilan Diaz, confesor del rey nuestro señor don Carlos Segundo
Other related names
- Morante, Joachim Gomez de la Cortina, marqués de, 1808-1868, former owner
- Lea, Henry Charles, 1825-1909, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1363
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4446177
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
An account of the case of Froilán Díaz, Dominican friar and Spanish theologian, who ascended to the position of confessor to King Charles II of Spain upon the death of the previous confessor, Pedro Matilla. Díaz, a professor of theology at the University of Alcalá and politically unaligned, found himself at the center of a power struggle for control of the Spanish throne. The case outlines how he took over from Matilla, the almost immediate intrigues against him and plots to overthrown him, and his lengthy and secret imprisonment by the Inquisition while his trial bogged down in a battle over jurisdiction between the Spanish Crown and the Vatican. The case ends with his eventual acquittal, restitution to his former position, and the reparation of his lost salary. Of particular interest are the details of Díaz's involvement in efforts to glean insight into the seemingly "bewitched' nature of the physically and mentally impaired king, Charles II, by conducting clairvoyance rituals with individuals supposedly possessed by demons.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from summary at beginning of manuscript (f. 1r).
- For other manuscripts of the case of Froilán Díaz, see Ms. Codex 1362, Ms. Codex 1367 (f. 69r-186v), and Ms. Codex 1452 (f. 174r-235r), Rare Book & Manuscript Library, University of Pennsylvania.
WatermarkDouble eagle watermark similar to Valls i Subirá, Vía, 1047, but with the name Stefano appearing underneath; watermark consisting of the name Fioretto Quartino.
Extent244 leaves : 190 x 144 (158 x 97) mm. bound to 198 x 157 mm
FoliationPaper, i + 244 + i leaves; [1-244]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingHalf leather (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Formerly owned by the Marquis de Morante (note on front flyleaf).
- Formerly owned by Henry Charles Lea (inscription on front flyleaf, 1873; bookplate, inside upper cover).
- Inquisition--Spain--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Spanish--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- Inside front cover — Bookplate, Inside front cover
Inside front cover
2338_0001.tif (59.5 MB)
2338_0001_thumb.jpg (4.3 KB)
2338_0001_web.jpg (269.6 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover