Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 137 Addresses and letters
TitleAddresses and letters
- Dokeianos, Ioannes
- Gregoras, Nicephorus, 1295-1359 or 60
- Gregory II, of Cyprus, Patriarch of Constantinople, 1241-1290
Call numberMs. Codex 137
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9915517613503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- ca. 1550-1599
Contains eleven addresses and letters by Ioannes Dokeianos (Johannes Docianus). The first is an encomium to Constantine Palaiologos. Also includes a prosphonemation to Theodoros Porphyrogenetos; and a letter to Helen, daughter of Demetrios Palaiologos. Also contains works by Nicephorus Gregoras: his monodies on the deaths of Emperor Andronicus II and of the Great Logothete, Theodore Metochites (the first two sections of Book X of his Histories, Rōmaikē historia); and a letter to John Cantacuzene as Great Domestic. Also contains two works of Patriarch Gregorios II of Constantinople (1283-1289): his encomium on St. Dionysius the Areopagite and his encomium on the sea.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Heading for first work: Iōannou dokianou enkōmion eis ton basilea kōnstantinon ton palaiologon.
- Cover title: Diaphorōn enkōmia kai epistolai.
- A complete photocopy is shelved with the manuscript.
Extent105 leaves : 205 x 148 (152 x 94) mm. bound to 213 x 151 mm
FoliationPaper, 105; [x], [1-95]; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto.
BindingContemporary boards. Some splitting of the binding between quires. Stains on the cover. Spine shows signs of wear. Includes at least three different types of paper.
- Formerly Ms. 51 of Notre Dame de Pilar, Saragossa; possibly the same manuscript that belonged to Andreas Darmarios Epidaurios Lakon, used by Martin Crusius in 1584.
- Acquired (Colton Fund), 1959.
- Orthodox Eastern Church
- Byzantine literature
- Manuscripts, Greek (Medieval and modern)--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 137: Addresses and letters are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
6059_0001.tif (75.6 MB)
6059_0001_thumb.jpg (3.2 KB)
6059_0001_web.jpg (223.9 KB)