Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize Ms. Codex 1399 Ledger of Detti debtors and creditors
TitleLedger of Detti debtors and creditors
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1399
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9944503543503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Ledger of debtors and creditors of Giovanbattista and Giammaria Detti for the years 1547-1555. Giovanbattista and Giammaria Detti were both members of the guild of the lanaioli, merchants who dealt in woolen cloth and cooperated with the other corporations of bankers and merchants in the comune of Florence. The Detti, like other lanaioli, saw all the processes from the raw baled wool through the final cloth, woven at numerous looms scattered in domiciles throughout the city. The ledger reflects their various activities and mentions transactions with many different workers (including weavers, spinners and dyers). Often includes the nature of a given credit or debt and its amount, as well as listing the names of the individuals that hold the debt or credit, the most important being Matteo de 'Pazzi; Francesco Risaliti; Alessandro Antinori; Alessandro Rucellai; Federico de' Ricci; and Bartolomeo and Romano Martelli.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Forms part of: Gondi-Medici Business Records.
WatermarkSimilar to Briquet, Couronne 4835 (Lucca, 1565-1566).
Extent208 leaves : 330 x 227 mm. bound to 334 x 229 mm
FoliationPaper, i (parchment) + 208 leaves + i (parchment); 1-42, 42, , 44-148, 148-176, , 178-182, [183-189], 189, [190-205], contemporary foliation in ink, modern foliation in pencil, upper left verso.
BindingContemporary vellum, no. 228 on spine; the heading Quadernaccio, no. 166, letter A with decorative penwork and signet D on upper cover; lower cover wraps around upper cover with leather strap; decorative leatherwork on spine.
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal, 1961.
- Accounting--Italy--16th century
- Textile industry--Italy--Early works to 1800
- Dyes and dyeing--Italy--Early works to 1800
- Credit records
- Ledgers (account books)
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- Financial records
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Oversize Ms. Codex 1399: Ledger of Detti debtors and creditors are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
1853_0001.tif (80.9 MB)
1853_0001_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
1853_0001_web.jpg (247.8 KB)