Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1400 Noticias reconditas y posthumas del procedimiento de las Inquisiciones de Espanha y Portugal con sus presos
TitleNoticias reconditas y posthumas del procedimiento de las Inquisiciones de Espanha y Portugal con sus presos
- John IV, King of Portugal, 1604-1656 John IV, King of Portugal, 1604-1656
- Ramè, Luiz Ramè, Luiz
Other related names
- Wisnievsky, Michał, former owner
- Lea, Henry Charles, 1825-1909, former owner
- Lequini, Sebastian, translator
Call numberMs. Codex 1400
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4452089
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageSpanish and Portuguese
- After 1722
Manuscript copy of an edition of this late 17th-century work published in 1722 in London (with a title page falsely placing the publisher in Villafranca). Collection of documents related to the Inquisitions of Spain, Portugal, and Mexico. The first part of the manuscript (f. 3v-56v), written in Portuguese, consists of a short letter written by King John IV of Portugal, followed by a general account of the Inquisition in Portugal, including acceptable practices and specific examples from individual cases. The second part (f. 58r-132v), written in Spanish, consists of philosophical arguments supporting the Inquisition, a letter from Pope Innocent XI detailing the rights of new Christian converts in Portugal, instructions (translated from Italian) on how to conduct interviews on witnesses brought before the Inquisition, and the case of Luiz Ramè, who was charged with heresy and tried by the Inquisition of Mexico. Ramè's case is written in the first person and begins with what appears to be a letter he wrote to an unnamed aristocratic woman.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
WatermarkSimilar to Valls i Subirá, Garreta, 442, but with the initials G R underneath.
Extent135 leaves : 215 x 165 (165 x 115) mm. bound to 222 x 180 mm
FoliationPaper, i + 135 + i leaves; 1-4, 1-102, iii-vi, 2-146; [ii, 1-132, i]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper center or outer corners; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. References in this record are to modern foliation. Catchwords, lower right corner.
BindingQuarter morocco, upper cover detached (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Formerly owned by Michał Wisnievsky (bookplate, inside upper cover).
- Formerly owned by Henry Charles Lea (bookplate, inside upper cover).
- Inquisition--Spain--Early works to 1800
- Inquisition--Portugal--Early works to 1800
- Inquisition--Mexico--Early works to 1800
- Christian converts from Islam--Portugal--History
- Christian converts from Judaism--Portugal--History
- Church records
- Manuscripts, European
- Manuscripts, Spanish--18th century
Inside front cover
0767_0001.tif (72.4 MB)
0767_0001_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
0767_0001_web.jpg (316.7 KB)
0767_0010.tif (72.4 MB)
0767_0010_thumb.jpg (6.3 KB)
0767_0010_web.jpg (374.5 KB)
Section: Prologo, f. 2r
0767_0012.tif (71.6 MB)
0767_0012_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
0767_0012_web.jpg (303.6 KB)
Section: Indice, f. 3r