Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize Ms. Codex 1404 Ledger of Detti accounts
TitleLedger of Detti accounts
- Vanni, Girolamo
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1404
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9944521933503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Ledger of accounts of Camillo di Carlo de' Medici, Giammaria and Giovanbattista Detti for the years 1565-1568 written by Girolamo di Domenico Vanni. Camillo de' Medici, Giammaria and Giovanbattista Detti were members of the guild of the lanaioli, merchants who dealt in woolen cloth and cooperated with the other corporations of bankers and merchants in the comune of Florence. The lanaioli saw all the processes from the raw baled wool through the final cloth, woven at numerous looms scattered in domiciles throughout the city. The ledger reflects their various activities and mentions transactions with many different workers (including weavers, spinners and dyers) who were paid for their services. When recording these transactions, information about the various phases of wool manufacturing is also present, often described in great detail. The ledger also contains records of expenses and revenues derived from the manufacture of textile products and their sale. However, debts and credits with members of aristocratic Florentine families are not uncommon and the ledger often includes the nature of such transactions and their amount, as well as listing the names of the individuals that act as counterparts, the most important being Camillo and Ludovico delle Cerchia; Niccolo Bicci; Federigo de' Ricci; Giuliano Salvetti; Michele Landi; and Giovanni Acciaiuoli.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Forms part of: Gondi-Medici Business Records.
WatermarkUnidentified watermark containing a decorated circle and a star.
Extent96 leaves : 334 x 226 mm. bound to 340 x 235 mm
FoliationPaper, 96; contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto (f.24-83 and 90-96 blank but ruled).
BindingContemporary vellum, no. 227 on spine; the heading Libro di entrata e di uscita, no. 171, signet D and letter C with decorative penwork on upper cover; lower cover with remnants of leather ties wraps around upper cover; decorative leatherwork on spine.
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal, 1961.
- Arte della lana (Guild : Florence, Italy)
- Accounting--Italy--16th century
- Textile industry--Italy--Early works to 1800
- Dyes and dyeing--Italy--Early works to 1800
- Woolen and worsted manufacture--Italy--History
- Wool industry--Italy--History
- Credit records
- Ledgers (account books)
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- Financial records
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Oversize Ms. Codex 1404: Ledger of Detti accounts are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
0789_0001.tif (85.3 MB)
0789_0001_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
0789_0001_web.jpg (250.7 KB)