Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 142 El Masaniello
- Fontoli, Gabriel
Call numberMs. Codex 142
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1551766
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageSpanish; translated from the Italian original by Padre Alonso de Flores, S.J., at the command of the Duke of Arcos (note, f. i recto, 1r)
Written in Spain, ca. 1650.
- ca. 1650
Account of the popular uprising against Spanish rule in Naples on 7 July, 1647, led by the fisherman Tommaso Aniello, called Masaniello.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title (f. 1r).
- Incipit: Suele la esperiencia mostrarnos ... (f. 1r).
- The Duke of Arcos, at whose command Fr. Flores made this translation, was the Spanish viceroy in Naples.
Extent64 leaves : 117 x 153 (187 x 101) mm. bound to 224 x 164 mm
FoliationPaper, i (modern paper) + 64 + i (modern paper); [i], 1-60, [61-63]; contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto.
BindingModern boards. Stains. Some cracking and splitting of the leaves at the edges. Paper slightly brittle. A few holes.
- Sold by Jacques Rosenthal Buch- und Kunstantiquariat, Munich, 1959.
- Manuscripts, Spanish--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
4206_0001.tif (84.0 MB)
4206_0001_thumb.jpg (2.7 KB)
4206_0001_web.jpg (231.1 KB)