Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1420 Ledger of the hospital of San Bartolomeo accounts
TitleLedger of the hospital of San Bartolomeo accounts
- Stefano, Bartolomeo di
Call numberMs. Codex 1420
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9944530083503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Ledger of accounts of the ospedale di San Bartolomeo in Trespiano, in the suburbs of Florence, for the years 1514-1522, written by Bartolomeo di Stefano, hospital administrator (referred to in the text as spedalino). Includes detailed lists of the expenses which occurred during the management of the hospital and the names of the counterparts involved in the transactions. Examples of transactions include the purchase of furniture and food for the guests or patients, as the hospital had the double function of hostel for pilgrims and care of the sick; purchase of cattle and feed; and the payment of wages of the people who worked in the hospital. There is also a small number of debts and credits with members of the local aristocracy (including loans from Bivigliano d'Alamanno de' Medici). The memoranda, often written in the first person and with a more narrative tone, describe the circumstances which lead to a specific transaction, such as a sale, a debt or a credit. According to the memoranda, the Medici family, which purchased the institution later in the 16th century, was a very important source of credit for the hospital.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Forms part of: Gondi-Medici Business Records.
WatermarkSimilar to Briquet, Balance 2480 (Venice, 1490).
Extent96 leaves : 210 x 136 mm. bound to 221 x 138 mm
FoliationPaper, 96; [i], 1-17, 19-76, 75-86, , 88-94; contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto. Folio 87 is a stub of a leaf torn out.
BindingContemporary vellum, no. 127 on spine; the heading Ricordanze and letter A with decorative penwork on upper cover; lower cover wraps around upper cover with leather ties. Decorative leatherwork on spine.
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal, 1961.
- Ospedale di San Bartolomeo (Florence, Italy)
- Accounting--Italy--16th century
- Hospitals, Medieval--Italy--Florence
- Hospital care--Italy--Florence--History--16th century
- Credit records
- Ledgers (account books)
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- Financial records
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Ms. Codex 1420: Ledger of the hospital of San Bartolomeo accounts are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
0819_0001.tif (71.7 MB)
0819_0001_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
0819_0001_web.jpg (253.3 KB)
Inside back cover
0819_0194.tif (104.6 MB)
0819_0194_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
0819_0194_web.jpg (341.7 KB)