Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1440 Lettere dell'Altezza Reale del Principe Ferdinando di Toscana a Lodovico Fantoni
TitleLettere dell'Altezza Reale del Principe Ferdinando di Toscana a Lodovico Fantoni
- Ferdinando de' Medici, Prince of Tuscany, 1663-1713
Other related names
- Anna Maria Luisa, Electress, consort of Johann Wilhelm, Elector Palatine, 1667-1743, recipient
- Fantoni, Lodovico, recipient
- Montauti, Anton Francesco, Abbe Marquis, recipient
- Ginori Conti, Piero, 1865-1939, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1440
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4463814
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageItalian with one passage in Latin
Collection of 129 autograph letters of the Prince Ferdinando III of Tuscany, son of Cosimo III de' Medici, written between 1689 and 1713 to Lodovico Fantoni, diplomat and statesman and to Anton Francesco Montauti, special envoy from Tuscany to the imperial court in Vienna, and one letter from Lodovico Fantoni, written in 1723, about the death of Cosimo III. Most letters contain brief exchanges of information about everyday activities between the Prince, who spent most of his time in Florence or Pisa, and Fantoni, who lived in Vienna, Madrid, Paris and, eventually, Venice. The letters usually deal with the events the Prince attended (banquets and dinners) and with other aspects of his daily routine. The Prince also comments very briefly on various European sovereigns (including the Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I and his wife, Margaret Theresa, and Madame Ursins, a lady of the Spanish court) and their lives. However, some of the names that appear in the passages are concealed in ciphers. Throughout the collection there are also occasional hints to the unhappy marriage between Ferdinando and Violante of Bavaria (simply referred to as wife in the letters), and to the affairs that the Prince had with various gentlemen, including a Venetian man named Cecchini (f. 73r). There are also mentions of an ongoing friendship with Anton Francesco Montauti (first mentioned on f. 73r). Bound at the end of the volume is also a letter (probably written in 1698) addressed to Montauti where Ferdinando asks him to make sure that the stay of Lodovico Fantoni, who was going to spend some time at the Viennese court, is pleasant and comfortable. Also bound at the end of the volume is a long, detailed account of the last moments of the life of Ferdinando, who died in 1713, written to the sister of the Prince, Anna Maria Luisa de' Medici, referred to as the Elettrice Palatina. The last document also contains a description of the succession problem that arose at the death of the Prince, as Ferdinando III died without heirs.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
- Written on various sizes of paper, some with remainders of seals.
Extent271 leaves : various sizes bound to 245 x 177 mm
FoliationPaper, 271; [1-271]; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto.
- Formerly owned by Piero Ginori-Conti (bookplate inside upper cover).
- Ambassadors--Italy--Tuscany--17th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--17th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1440: Lettere dell'Altezza Reale del Principe Ferdinando di Toscana a Lodovico Fantoni are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
4968_0001.tif (84.1 MB)
4968_0001_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
4968_0001_web.jpg (252.4 KB)