Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1452 Causas de inquisicion
TitleCausas de inquisicion
- Pacheco, Andrés
- Philip II, King of Spain, 1527-1598
Other related names
- Philip III, King of Spain, 1578-1621, recipient
Call numberMs. Codex 1452
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4472125
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- after 1721
A collection of works related to the Spanish Inquisition ranging from 16th- through 18th-century Spain, including a short treatise favoring the elimination of the statutes of cleanliness of blood, known in Spanish as los estatutos de limpieza de sangre, addressed to Philip III, King of Spain, and written by Andrés Pacheco, Grand Inquisitor (1622-1626) and Bishop of Cuenca; a work from 1662 outlining the jurisdiction of the Inquisition in criminal cases involving inquisitorial officials, based on many sources, including a letter from Philip II written in 1570; a letter from one anonymous Roman Catholic gentleman to another describing the controversy over a certain paper published in Spain in 1721 that was censured by the Inquisition; a letter, also from 1721, to an unnamed inquisitor from an unnamed scholar giving his opinion, at the request of the inquisitor, on a certain anonymous writing banned by the Inquisition, referred to only as the memorial manuscrito, which apparently denounced the practices of the Jesuits; and the case of Froilán Diaz, Dominican friar and Spanish theologian, who ascended to the position of confessor to King Charles II only to be removed to a secret prison by the Inquisition for several years while his trial bogged down in a battle over jurisdiction between the Spanish crown and the Vatican.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from spine.
- For other manuscripts of the case of Froilán Díaz, see Ms. Codex 1362, Ms. Codex 1363, and Ms. Codex 1367 (f.69r-186v), Rare Book & Manuscript Library, University of Pennsylvania.
WatermarkSimilar to Valls i Subirá; unidentified watermark consisting of a mounted picador with the name Pasquale underneath; unidentified watermark consisting of a bull with the name Polleri written underneath; unidentified watermark consisting of a cross inside an oval, flanked on either side by a rampant lion, and with a cross issuing from the top; unidentified watermark consisting of a cross inside a crowned oval, flanked on either side by a figure, possibly a rampant griffin.
Extent236 leaves : 199-214 x 146-158 mm. bound to 210 x 150 mm
FoliationPaper, 236 leaves; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto.
BindingContemporary boards (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Purchased, 1966.
- Inquisition--Spain--Early works to 1800
- Jurisdiction (Ecclesiastical law)--Spain--Early works to 1800
- Censorship--Spain--History--18th century
- Nobility--Spain--Early works to 1800
- Jews--Legal status, laws, etc.--Spain
- Manuscripts, Spanish--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Table of contents
- fol. 2r — Memorial que el tribunal dela Ynquisicion... , f. 2r
- fol. 12r — Sobre competencias de tribunales con el de la Ynquisicion, f. 12r
- fol. 112r — Carta de un cavallero romano catolico a otro cavallero catolico romano, f. 112r
- fol. 166r — Parecer de un maestro de Salamanca... , f. 166r
- fol. 174r — Resumen de la causa contra el maestro fray Froilan Diaz confesor que fue de Carlos Segundo, f. 174r
Inside front cover
2347_0001.tif (70.6 MB)
2347_0001_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
2347_0001_web.jpg (228.1 KB)
2347_0004.tif (70.6 MB)
2347_0004_thumb.jpg (7.2 KB)
2347_0004_web.jpg (360.6 KB)
Section: Memorial que el tribunal dela Ynquisicion... , f. 2r
2347_0024.tif (70.6 MB)
2347_0024_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
2347_0024_web.jpg (267.8 KB)
Section: Sobre competencias de tribunales con el de la Ynquisicion, f. 12r
2347_0224.tif (70.6 MB)
2347_0224_thumb.jpg (6.3 KB)
2347_0224_web.jpg (309.0 KB)
Section: Carta de un cavallero romano catolico a otro cavallero catolico romano, f. 112r
2347_0332.tif (70.6 MB)
2347_0332_thumb.jpg (7.0 KB)
2347_0332_web.jpg (347.9 KB)
Section: Parecer de un maestro de Salamanca... , f. 166r
2347_0348.tif (70.6 MB)
2347_0348_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
2347_0348_web.jpg (223.1 KB)
Section: Resumen de la causa contra el maestro fray Froilan Diaz confesor que fue de Carlos Segundo, f. 174r