Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize Ms. Codex 1524 Ledger of Medici accounts
TitleLedger of Medici accounts
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1524
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9944962833503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Ledger of debtors, creditors, and accounts of an unidentified member of the Medici family for the year 1581-1583. The ledger, written in the first person, often includes the nature of a given credit or debt and its amount, as well as listing the names of the individuals or institutions that hold the debt or credit, the most important being various members of the Medici family, including Carlo de' Medici and his heirs; Vincenzo de' Medici; Elisabetta (referred to as Lisabetta) de' Medici; Giulio de' Medici; Bernardo de' Medici; Camillo Medici; numerous workers (including farmers, shoemakers; and wool workers); the Monte di pietà of Florence; Piero Pagni; Lionardo Giraldi (husband of Elisabetta de' Medici); Matteo di Francesco Brocchi; Filippo Spinelli; Vincenzo Latini; Francesco Risaliti; and Giovanbattista Detti. Contains accounts related to a large number of different activities, including the management of farms located in the Maremma, outside Florence (in particular, most transactions concern expenses for the well-being of horses and cattle); trades and payments made to members of the guild of the Lanaioli for services or for the purchase of textile products; expenses related to household management; and transactions with two booksellers, referred to as librai (p. 11 and p. xi).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Forms part of: Gondi-Medici Business Records.
WatermarkUnidentified watermark containing a shield with mountains, a tree(?) and leaves.
Extent61 leaves : 352 x 254 mm
FoliationPaper, i (paper) + 61; rectos numbered [i], i-lix, [lx], contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper right recto; versos numbered 1-60, , contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper left verso.
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal, 1963.
- Arte della lana (Guild : Florence, Italy)
- Accounting--Italy--16th century
- Textile industry--Italy--Early works to 1800
- Farm life--Italy--History
- Farm management--Italy
- Credit records
- Ledgers (account books)
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- Financial records
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Oversize Ms. Codex 1524: Ledger of Medici accounts are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.