Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1547 Instrumentum publicum
- Cesius, Michelangelo
Call numberMs. Codex 1547
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4524347
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageLatin, with a few pages in Italian
Deed or protocol, from July 1618, regarding the sale and maintenance of property owned by the late Archbishop of Taranto, Franciscus Columna, also referred to as Francesco Colonna (f. 7v), to Johannes Bandinus of Florence. The property, located in the Monte Cavallo area of the Quirinal Hill in Rome, is the same as that referred to in Ms. Codex 1545, against the Basilica of Sancta Maria Maggiore (referred to as Sanctae Mariae Maioris). Throughout, references to some of the clergy of the Basilica involved, including the cleric Fredericus Octaviani de Ghettis (f. 1v), and presbyter Felix de Simeonibus (f. 1r). Discusses events that occurred in 1450, as well as the contract by Petrus Antonius Bandinus (also referred to as Pierantonio Bandini) made in 1555 (f. 4r), focusing on property located in Monte Cavallo originally sold by Franciscus Columna to Petrus Antonius Bandinus in perpetuity and the details of its sale and maintenance. One of the potential buyers is Pope Paul V (f. 1r). The property contains vineyards and gardens, as well as cottages. The majority of the manuscript details contracts (probably copied from earlier documents) regarding the sale of the property, maintenance, and tenant issues. Contains a few small summaries of the sale in Italian (f. 7v-8v, 9r, 25v-26v). Contains two notarial ink stamps of three hills topped with a cross and the initials MAC, with the motto Omnibus fidus, signed by Michelangelo Cesius (f. 33r, f. 35r). Sewn gatherings with no binding.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent38 leaves : 235 x 165 mm
CollationParchment and paper, 38; 1¹ 2-10⁴ 11¹; [i], 1-33, 35, 34, [36-37]; contemporary foliation in ink, modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto; catchwords present on lower right recto and verso.
SupportParchment and paper
- Sold by Libraria Antiquaria C. E. Rappaport (Rome), 1966.
- Santa Maria Maggiore (Church : Rome, Italy)
- Real property--Italy--17th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
0923_0066.tif (77.0 MB)
0923_0066_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
0923_0066_web.jpg (245.7 KB)
Decoration: Notarial stamp, f. 33r
0923_0068.tif (77.0 MB)
0923_0068_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
0923_0068_web.jpg (282.4 KB)
Decoration: Notarial stamp, f. 34r