Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1556 Modus tenendi parliamentum apud Anglos
TitleModus tenendi parliamentum apud Anglos
- Elsynge, Henry, 1577-1635 or 6
Other related names
- Hickman, William, 1629-1682, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1556
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4543698
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageEnglish, with title of first work and numerous legal terms in both works in Latin
- ca. 1640-1660?
Two works concerning governance and law bound together. The first work is the first book of Henry Elsynge's treatise on parliamentary procedure, despite the caption title's assertion that the work is "in two bookes" (f. 2r). The treatise comprises eight chapters addressing summons, appearance, locus et modus sedendi, Parliament days, proxies, summonitionis causa, prolocutor domus communis, and receivers and triers of petitions. The second work is a treatise on nobility in English law and custom in six chapters, addressing topics such as the creation of titles, the inheritance of titles, laws concerning nobles in trials, the privileges of nobility, and the cessation or loss of nobility.
- Ms. codex.
- Title for manuscript from caption title of first work (f. 2r) and title page of second work (f. 141r)
Extent276 leaves : 294 x 182 (Work 1, 239 x 115; Work 2, 223 x 120) mm. bound to 299 x 210 mm
FoliationPaper, i + 276 + i; [1-144, 145-276 (contemporary foliation 1-132)]; modern foliation in pencil and contemporary foliation in ink (when present), upper right recto. Catchwords every page, lower right corner.
BindingContemporary calf and endpapers, rebacked in the 19th century (Christopher Edwards).
- Formerly owned by the Hickman family of Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, probably Sir William Hickman (1629-1682), second baronet (armorial bookplate inside upper cover, Hickman Barrt., motto Toujours Fidelle).
- Sold by Christopher Edwards (Wallingford, England), 2009.
- England and Wales.--Parliament--Rules and practice
- Parliamentary practice--England--History--17th century
- Nobility--Great Britain--History
- Nobility--Legal status, laws, etc.--Great Britain
- Manuscripts, European
- Manuscripts, English--17th century
Table of contents
- Inside front cover — Bookplate, Inside front cover
Inside front cover
3358_0001.tif (53.2 MB)
3358_0001_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
3358_0001_web.jpg (280.4 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover
3358_0004.tif (53.2 MB)
3358_0004_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
3358_0004_web.jpg (261.0 KB)
Section: Modus tenendi parliamentum apud Anglos, f. 1r
3358_0284.tif (53.2 MB)
3358_0284_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
3358_0284_web.jpg (332.4 KB)
Section: A treatise of nobilitie in generall, f. 141r