Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1571 Historical miscellany
- Requesens family Requesens family
Call numberMs. Codex 1571
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4826087
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageLatin, with passages in Spanish, Italian, Sicilian dialect, and Catalan
Miscellany of documents (some original, some 17th-century copies) pertaining to the services rendered by the various members of the Requesens family (Bernardo, Berengario, Giuseppe, and Antonio in particular) to the Spanish crown, covering the years 1463-1660. Includes correspondence and reports concerning a variety of occasions when the Requesens fought for Spain against the Turkish army, especially in Sicily and other areas of Southern Italy, between the 16th and the 17th century. Notarial documents, some bearing official seals, describe privileges and investitures granted upon the Requesens by the Spanish monarchs. The volume also contains a very detailed table of contents in Italian (f. 2r-5r).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Written on various sizes of paper, some with seals and remainders of seals.
- Forms part of: Villafiorita Ducal Records.
WatermarkLarge, unidentified watermark containing a shield, a crown, and the word LIBERTAS; and a large, unidentified watermark containing a bird, flowers, and the letters CC.
Extent100 leaves : various sizes bound to 323 x 227 mm
FoliationPaper, 100; [1-100]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto. Numerous pages present non-consecutive, sometimes crossed out, contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto.
BindingRemnants of contemporary vellum over paper boards. Vellum now only on lower cover.
- Sold by Kurt L. Schwarz (Beverly Hills, Calif.).
- Nobility--Spain--Early works to 1800
- Notarial documents
- Manuscripts, Catalan--16th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--15th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--17th century
- Manuscripts, Spanish--16th century
- Manuscripts, Spanish--17th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--15th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--16th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--17th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
1648_0001.tif (67.7 MB)
1648_0001_thumb.jpg (3.5 KB)
1648_0001_web.jpg (182.6 KB)
Embossed seal, Side 1
1648_0015.tif (67.3 MB)
1648_0015_thumb.jpg (1.8 KB)
1648_0015_web.jpg (95.8 KB)
Embossed seal, Side 2
1648_0016.tif (67.3 MB)
1648_0016_thumb.jpg (1.7 KB)
1648_0016_web.jpg (92.6 KB)