Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 16 Guerino Meschino
- Andrea, da Barberino, b. ca. 1370
Other related names
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 16
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9914691553503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Romance about Guerino, son of an Italian prince. Separated from his parents as a baby and deprived of his royal status (dubbed "Meschino," "Wretched"), he embarks on a number of chivalric adventures, travels the world, discovers his identity, and returns to recapture his kingdom. This work is also known as Guerino il Meschino, Guerrino detto il Meschino and Meschino da Durazzo.
- Ms. codex.
- Early title "Guerino Meschino" is written along the lower fore-edge of the manuscript; later title "Guerino" is written on the front cover board.
- A brief description of the manuscript in Italian is pasted inside the front cover.
- Generally fragile; portions of the manuscript are in very poor condition. Upper part of each page severely dampstained throughout the manuscript, sometimes affecting legibility of the first few lines; however, the parts of each page unaffected by this staining are in excellent condition. Bottom part of f. 1 torn away, but no text missing. Binding and covers loose; spine missing. Back cover board broken in half and held together only by pasted-down endpaper. There is evidence of worm damage.
- The text of Guerino il Meschino was first printed at Padua in 1473, but the printed text differs in many respects from the text of this and other manuscripts.
WatermarkSimilar to Briquet, Fleur, 6597 or 6599.
Extent214 leaves : 236 x 160 (165 x 108) mm. bound to 235 x 163 mm
CollationPaper, 214; 1-19¹⁰20-21¹²; [1-214]; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. Catchwords, lower center verso on the last leaf of each gathering.
BindingContemporary square wooden boards sewn on three thongs threaded through the boards and pegged. Metal catches on lower cover decorated and engraved with Gothic capital "S."
Illuminated 4-line initial in blue, green and gold (f. 1). Small initials in red, with guide letters usually visible in the left margin.
- The bookplate of Graf L. v. d. Pahlen is pasted inside the front cover; "Phillippe" is scribbled in plummet in the lower margin of f. 164r.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 1 December 1987, lot 34.
- Appears in Maggs Bros. catalog B15 (1990), no. 8.
- Formerly owned by Lawrence J. Schoenberg, LJS 18.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 1993.
- Italian literature--15th century
- Romances, Italian--Specimens
- Romances (literary genre)
- Manuscripts, Italian--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 15th century
- Literature -- Poetry
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Ms. Codex 16: Guerino Meschino are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
2398_0001.tif (46.4 MB)
2398_0001_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
2398_0001_web.jpg (321.1 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover
Decoration: Seller's description, Inside front cover
2398_0002.tif (46.4 MB)
2398_0002_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
2398_0002_web.jpg (343.3 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated initial, Initial N, f. 1r
2398_0212.tif (46.4 MB)
2398_0212_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
2398_0212_web.jpg (272.0 KB)
Decoration: Owner signature, f. 106r
2398_0328.tif (46.4 MB)
2398_0328_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
2398_0328_web.jpg (257.9 KB)
Decoration: Owner signature, f. 164r
Decoration: Drawing, Bird[?], f. 164r
mscodex16_wk1_body0211a.tif (42.3 MB)
mscodex16_wk1_body0211a_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
mscodex16_wk1_body0211a_web.jpg (272.0 KB)