Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1606 Recueil des lettres et memoires concernant l'histoires des Pais-Bas sur la reception du Concile de Trente et l'introduction de l'Inquisition dans les XVII Provinces
TitleRecueil des lettres et memoires concernant l'histoires des Pais-Bas sur la reception du Concile de Trente et l'introduction de l'Inquisition dans les XVII Provinces
Other related names
- Van der Weyer, Victor, former owner
- Cassuto, Alfonso, 1910-1990, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1606
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4956374
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageFrench and Latin, with 3 documents in Dutch (p. 184-197, 489-492)
- after 1686
Belgium or the Netherlands
Collection of fair copies of 124 documents about the consequences of the Council of Trent and the impact of the Inquisition on the Low Countries. The sources include correspondence and royal, papal, governmental, and legal documents. They are arranged in generally chronological order from 1525 to 1608. The detailed table of contents (p. v-xxviii) is arranged in strict chronological order, sometimes breaking away from the order of presentation but with accurate page references, and gives titles in French, usually followed by a note about the language of the document.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. iii).
Extent262 leaves : 315 x 186 (267 x 160) mm. bound to 327 x 210 mm
FoliationPaper, 262 leaves; [i-xxx], 1-492, [493-494]; contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary (17th-century?) calf, gilt spine with title Memoires sur la recept. de Conc. de Tre.; upper joint cracked; marbled endpapers and ribbon marker.
Ornamental border and letters in ink on title page (p. iii); ornamental letters in table of contents and document titles throughout.
- Formerly owned by Victor Van de Weyer (son of Jean Sylvain Van de Weyer, Belgian minister at the Court of St. James; New Lodge, Windsor); sold at auction at Sotheby's as part of his collection, July 10-14, 1916 (inscription, front flyleaf).
- Formerly owned by antiquarian bookdealer and collector Alfonso Cassuto (Lisbon; bookplate inside upper cover; embossed stamp, p. iii, 1).
- Sold at auction at Kestenbaum & Company as part of the Alfonso Cassuto collection, 24 Feb. 2011, lot 301.
- Manuscripts, Latin--17th century
- Manuscripts, French--17th century
- Manuscripts, Dutch--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
1651_0001.tif (69.4 MB)
1651_0001_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
1651_0001_web.jpg (382.3 KB)