Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1609 Correspondence of Wilhelm IV
TitleCorrespondence of Wilhelm IV
- Wilhelm IV, Landgrave of Hesse, 1532-1592 Wilhelm IV, Landgrave of Hesse, 1532-1592
- Maurice, Elector of Saxony, 1521-1553 Maurice, Elector of Saxony, 1521-1553
- Melanchthon, Philipp, 1497-1560 Melanchthon, Philipp, 1497-1560
Call numberMs. Codex 1609
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5315401
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- after 1552
Collection of documents related to the aftermath of the Schmalkaldic War in Hesse in Saxony. The manuscript contents comprise copies of 2 letters: a letter dated 24 Feb. 1552 from Wilhelm IV to Maurice, Elector of Saxony, requesting a meeting to negotiate the release of Wilhelm's father, Philipp I, who was a leader of the Schmalkaldic League and imprisoned by Charles V as a traitor after the League's defeat; and a response dated 4 Mar. 1552 from the political leaders (Landschaft) of Saxony, asking Wilhelm to be patient.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Manuscript bound with a printed edition of Bedencken auffs Interim des ehrwirdigen und hochgelarten Herrn Philippi Melanthonis (1548), in which Melancthon expresses reservations and objections to the Augsburg Interim of 1548; from prison, Philipp I unsuccessfully urged the clergy of Hesse to accept the Interim; minimal marginal annotations. For a fuller description of this printed work, search the title Bedencken auffs Interim Des Ehrwirdigen vnd Hochgelarten Herrn Philippi Melanthonis.
WatermarkSimilar to Briquet Couronne 4960 (Siegen, 1515) and 4962 (Waiblingen, 1519), but with a small cross and quartered circle below the circle supporting the crown.
Extent7 leaves : 187 x 143 (165 x 100) mm. bound to 190 x 147 mm
FoliationPaper, 7; [1-7], modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto.
BindingBoards, with manuscript spine label Melanchton (printed work) and inscription on upper cover also concerning printed work.
- Sold by Haus der Bücher (Basel, Switzerland), 1952.
- Transferred from Culture Class collection, University of Pennsylvania, 2011.
- Schmalkaldic War, 1546-1547--Early works to 1800
- Hybrid books
- Manuscripts, German--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
2411_0001.tif (67.3 MB)
2411_0001_thumb.jpg (2.9 KB)
2411_0001_web.jpg (217.3 KB)
Flyleaf 1 verso] (printed matter not shot)
2411_0003.tif (67.3 MB)
2411_0003_thumb.jpg (2.7 KB)
2411_0003_web.jpg (242.6 KB)