Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1610 Explicaçoens e provas dos agravos, dos quais sequeixão a Seé Appostolica os christaos descendentes do sangue hebreu no reino de Portugal
TitleExplicaçoens e provas dos agravos, dos quais sequeixão a Seé Appostolica os christaos descendentes do sangue hebreu no reino de Portugal
Other related names
- Vieira, António, 1608-1697, attributed name
- Cassuto, Alfonso, 1910-1990, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1610
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5009542
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguagePortuguese, with occasional words, phrases, or brief passages in Latin
- after 1673
Anonymous polemic against the treatment of christaos descendentes do sangue hebreu (New Christians of Hebrew blood, converts from Judaism to Catholicism and their descendants) by the Portuguese Inquisition.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title (f. 1r).
- Cassuto identified this work with the Portuguese section of Noticias reconditas y posthumas published in London in 1722 and sometimes attributed to the Portuguese Jesuit Antonio Vieira (note by Cassuto, who gives the date as 1720, inside upper cover), who pleaded with Pope Clement X on behalf of the New Christians.
- Moderate oxidation of ink, resulting in bleed-through and some cracking in larger initials.
Extent146 leaves : 259 x 198 (188 x 126) mm. bound to 266 x 212 mm
FoliationPaper, ii + 146 + ii; [1-146], modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingContemporary (17th-century) mottled calf, gilt spine.
2- and 3-line calligraphic initials throughout.
- Formerly owned by antiquarian bookdealer and collector Alfonso Cassuto (Lisbon; bookplate inside upper cover; notes inside upper cover, first flyleaf; embossed stamp, f. 1r, 95r, 145r).
- Sold at auction at Kestenbaum & Company as part of the Alfonso Cassuto collection, Part 2, 23 June 2011, lot 47.
- Inquisition--Portugal--Early works to 1800
- Christian converts from Judaism--Portugal--History--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Portuguese--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
- Inside front cover — Bookplate, Inside front cover
Inside front cover
2412_0001.tif (58.8 MB)
2412_0001_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
2412_0001_web.jpg (236.5 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover