Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1612 Respuesta al libro intitulado Politica de Dios, govierno de Christo, tirania de Satanas
TitleRespuesta al libro intitulado Politica de Dios, govierno de Christo, tirania de Satanas
Other related names
- Sotomayor, Antonio, ca. 1548-1648, recipient
- Moscoso, Antonio, former owner
- Cassuto, Alfonso, 1910-1990, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1612
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5009544
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageSpanish, with a few passages in Latin
20 discourses, each preceded by a chapter title and responding to material from Part 1 of Francisco de Quevedo's Politica de Dios, a satirical work about the Church. The volume begins with a dedication to Antonio Sotomayor, confessor to Philip IV and later Grand Inquisitior of the Spanish Inquisition. Marginal notes, both in the hand of the text and later hands, provide classical, patristic, and Biblical references. One marginal note that flags an error in one of the chapter titles gives evidence of a reader comparing the manuscript to the printed work (f. 107v).
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. 5r), with later note in ink in the hand of Fernando Moscoso: que compuso D[on] Fran[cesco] de Quevedo.
Extent141 leaves : 197 x 144 (147 x 87) mm. bound to 207 x 155 mm
CollationPaper, 141 leaves; 1⁹ 2-8⁸ 9⁶ 10-17⁸ 18⁶; gatherings 5-14 signed 4-13 in ink, lower left corner of first recto, some trimmed away; [i-v], 1-80, 80-132, 123-124, , contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto; [1-141], modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto. Catchwords added in another hand, lower right corner of last verso. References in this record are to modern foliation.
BindingContemporary (17th-century) limp parchment.
Ink drawing of an ecclesiastical coat of arms for a bishop or archbishop (f. 1r); ornamental frame in ink for Job 15.6, including figures labeled Veritas and Invidia (Truth and Envy) and secondary quotations from Proverbs and Isaiah, on title page (f. 5r); a few manicules by multiple readers (f. 19r, 42v-43r, 58r).
- Formerly owned by Don Fernando Moscoso (in the manuscript as Moscosso), professor at the University of Salamanca, active in the late 17th and early 18th century (signature, f. 1r).
- Formerly held in the library of Jews' College (London; stamp and embossed stamp, f. 1-4).
- Formerly owned by antiquarian bookdealer and collector Alfonso Cassuto (Lisbon).
- Sold at auction at Kestenbaum & Company as part of the Alfonso Cassuto collection, Part 2, 23 June 2011, lot 49.
- Catholic Church--Apologetic works--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Spanish--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
1655_0001.tif (75.1 MB)
1655_0001_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
1655_0001_web.jpg (239.2 KB)
Fol. Loose pastedown, 1r
1655_0002.tif (75.1 MB)
1655_0002_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
1655_0002_web.jpg (254.0 KB)
Fol. Loose pastedown, 1v
1655_0003.tif (75.1 MB)
1655_0003_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
1655_0003_web.jpg (260.5 KB)
1655_0004.tif (75.1 MB)
1655_0004_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
1655_0004_web.jpg (300.4 KB)
Decoration: Drawing, Coat of arms, f. 1r
1655_0012.tif (75.1 MB)
1655_0012_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
1655_0012_web.jpg (326.5 KB)
Decoration: Ornamental emblem, f. 5r