Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1614 Canzoni per musica cavate da diverse opere et autore per suo diporto
TitleCanzoni per musica cavate da diverse opere et autore per suo diporto
- Fosconi, Archilante Fosconi, Archilante
Other related names
- Ghiselli, Antonio Francesco, 1670-1730, former owner
- Ranuzzi Cospi, Ferdinando Vincenzo Antonio, 1658-1726, fomer owner
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, fomer owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1614
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5409136
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Probably written in Bologna in the late 17th century (Alastor).
- between 1675 and 1699?
Collection of over 800 canzoni lyrics grouped by themes such as suffering, love, honor, beauty, and spirit.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from early added title on second flyleaf.
WatermarkMedici coat of arms topped with crossed keys and crown.
Extent364 leaves : 220 x 154 mm. bound to 228 x 172 mm
CollationPaper, ii + 364; 1-3⁸ 4-7⁴ 8-12⁸ 13⁶ 14² 15-17⁸ 18⁴ 19² 20⁸ 21² 22⁸ 23⁶ 24² 25⁸ 26⁶ 27⁸ 28⁶ 29-30⁸ 31⁴ 32⁸ 33⁶ 34-35⁸ 36² 37⁸ 38⁶ 39² 40-41⁸ 42⁶ 43⁸ 44² 45⁶ 46-51⁸ 52⁶ 53⁸ 54⁴ 55-56⁸ 57-58²; gatherings signed A-A5, B-B2, C-C7, D-D5, E-E2, F-F3, G, H, J-J2, L-L3, M-M2, N-N3, O-O3, P-P3, Q-Q2, R, S-S7, T-T2, V-V3, Z; [1-364], modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. Catchwords on most leaves, lower left verso.
BindingLate 17th- or early 18th-century paper boards; title Canzoni per musica and number 96 on spine in ink; number 121 in ink on label on upper cover.
- Formerly owned by Antonio Francesco Ghiselli, canon of San Petronio, Bologna (bookplate inside upper cover).
- Purchased as part of the Ghiselli collection by Count Vincenzo Ranuzzi, his ms. 96, owned by subsequent generations of the Ranuzzi family (Bologna).
- Sold as part of the Ranuzzi collection to English booksellers John Payne and Henry Foss, 1847.
- Sold by John Payne as part of a large section of the Ranuzzi collection to Sir Thomas Phillipps, ms. 12614 (remnant of label on spine).
- Sold by Alastor Rare Books (Lymington, England), cat. 20 (2011), no. 11.
- Italian poetry--17th century
- Songs, Italian--17th century
- Songs (document genre)
- Manuscripts, Italian--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1614: Canzoni per musica cavate da diverse opere et autore per suo diporto are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- Inside front cover — Bookplate, Inside front cover
Inside front cover
5027_0001.tif (79.8 MB)
5027_0001_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
5027_0001_web.jpg (323.3 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover