Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1620 Poems on monastic life
TitlePoems on monastic life
- Faucher, Denis, 1487-1562 Faucher, Denis, 1487-1562
- Herp, Hendrik, ca. 1400-1477 Herp, Hendrik, ca. 1400-1477
Call numberMs. Codex 1620
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5423460
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageLatin, with the final poem in Italian (f. 16v)
- after 1524
Preface on holiness in nuns and poems attributed to Denis (Dionysus) Faucher on religious life precede a printed edition of Hendrik Herp's Speculum perfectionis (Venice: Sabio, 1524). The printed material ends with a woodcut of Saint Catherine of Alexandria, and the following manuscript material begins with a hymn to Saint Catherine (f. 9r-10r), followed by additional poems on religious life. Most of the poems by Faucher are a addressed to a nun in the scholasticate (period following novitiate), except for one addressed to Antonius Rorincus (f. 8v).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Printed edition is cataloged separately under the title Speculum perfectionis vene[rabilis] Fr[ater] Henrici Hierp ...
Extent134 leaves (16 manuscript) : 147 x 96 (109 x 69) mm. bound to 149 x 109 mm
FoliationPaper, 16 manuscript leaves; [1-8] (at beginning of volume), [9-16] (at end of volume), modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto.
Binding17th- or 18th-century morocco, gilt spine.
Full-page illumination of a nun on the cross above a 4-line verse titled Ad scholasticam (f. 1r) and an illumination of a skull surrounded by bones and flowers (f. 3r), both surrounded by text passages on scrolls; rubrication in red; paragraph marks in red or blue and 1- or 2-line initials in red or blue.
- Possible ownership inscriptions on first printed leaf: F. Franciscus pradice [?]; Ballesdens.
- Sold by Lathrop C. Harper (New York), 1962.
- Transferred from Culture Class collection, University of Pennsylvania, 2012.
- Monasticism and religious orders for women--Early works to 1800
- Hybrid books
- Manuscripts, Latin--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
1367_0001.tif (37.2 MB)
1367_0001_thumb.jpg (6.4 KB)
1367_0001_web.jpg (339.0 KB)
1367_0007.tif (37.2 MB)
1367_0007_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
1367_0007_web.jpg (303.5 KB)
Decoration: Miniature, Nun on the cross, f. 1v
1367_0010.tif (37.2 MB)
1367_0010_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
1367_0010_web.jpg (283.0 KB)
Decoration: Miniature, Skull with border of bones and flowers, f. 3r
Fol. 8v; printed matter not shot
1367_0021.tif (37.2 MB)
1367_0021_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
1367_0021_web.jpg (288.0 KB)