Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1632 Hybrid dialogues in French, Spanish, and Italian
TitleHybrid dialogues in French, Spanish, and Italian
- Franciosini, Lorenzo, active 1620
Other related names
- Oudin, César, -1625, translator
- Popschitz, Wolfgang von, former owner
- Nostitz, Christoph Wentzel, Graf von, 1648-1712, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1632
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5938304
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguagePrinted in Spanish and Italian with occasional annotations in those languages, with a manuscript translation in French of 7 of the 10 dialogues and their notes
Printed edition of Lorenzo Franciosini's Dialogos apazibles / Dialoghi piacevoli (Venice: Presso Giacomo Sarzina, 1626), parallel translations in Spanish and Italian of 8 dialogues in a variety of situations (for example, at a market, or at a banquet), interleaved with a manuscript copy of the French translation of Cesar Oudin of 7 of the 8 dialogues. The French translation includes the notes in the printed work as well as original notes concerning the French. The volume concludes with the Spanish and Italian word lists of the printed work, in which the words are grouped by subject, such as titles, parts of the body, parts of the house, precious stones, and days of the week, with a few equivalents in another language and another hand written in the margins. Oudin's translations were published as early as 1611.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent295 leaves : 162 x 102 mm. bound to 163 x 122 mm
FoliationPaper, i + 295 + i; [1-295], modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto (printed work paginated, upper outer corners).
BindingParchment, with spine title Dialoghi piacevo. II in ink and number 459 in red ink.
- Formerly owned and French translation possibly written by Wolfgang von Popschitz (signature, Wolgango de Popschitz, 1657, f. 2r; place and date, inside upper cover).
- Formerly owned by Christoph Wentzel, Graf von Nostitz (armorial bookplate inside upper cover).
- Purchased, 1957.
- Transferred from Culture Class collection, University of Pennsylvania, 2013.
- Spanish language--Conversation and phrase books--Italian
- Spanish language--Conversation and phrase books--French
- Hybrid books
- Manuscripts, French--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1632: Hybrid dialogues in French, Spanish, and Italian are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
4379_0001.tif (41.0 MB)
4379_0001_thumb.jpg (5.6 KB)
4379_0001_web.jpg (429.9 KB)