Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1638 Commonplace book
- Wright, John, M. D Wright, John, M. D
Other related names
- Stratham, Ann, former owner
- Wright, Euphemia, recipient
- Wright, Charles William Henry, recipient
Call numberMs. Codex 1638
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5790408
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageEnglish with the first 13 pages in Latin
This commonplace book was written by Wright to impart knowledge and ideas to his son Charles and daughter Euphemia. The first seven leaves of the book contain patient prescriptions for various medical ailments in abbreviated Latin. The entries are listed chronologically beginning 16 May 1780, with the inclusion of patient name and age. A table of contents follows, listing the title, author, and page of each of the poems, prose passages, quotes, elegies, hymns, and prayers copied by Wright. The items are by various English authors and there are some quotations from the Bible. The items recorded by Wright are often followed by his comments, explanation, interpretation, or advice that are sometimes addressed to Charles and Euphemia. Some of the authors Wright copied are, Alexander Selkirk, William Cowper, Alexander Pope, James Beattie, and Mrs. (Anna Letitia) Barbauld. Following the excerpts of prose and poetry are original writings by Wright on various topics from his life experience. He has titled some Maxims or axioms. Other topics by Wright include love, marriage, truthfulness, bashfulness, modesty, the keeping of birds and beasts, and sense and nonsense. The last two leaves of the volume are written upside-down. On these leaves Wright has recorded information regarding correspondence related to his wine importing business. The leaves include names of clients, dates, amount of port, and costs.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent62 leaves : 187 x 123 mm. bound to 187 x 123 mm
FoliationPaper, 62 leaves; 1-16, [i-ii], 17-115, [116-122], contemporary pagination in ink, upper outside corner.
BindingContemporary brown cardboard covers with illegible ink writing, leather spine.
- Formerly owned by Ann Statham (inscription on inside front cover: Book written by my great grandfather (maternal) Dr. Wright. Ann Statham).
- Sold by Justin Croft Antiquarian Books (Faversham, England), 2012.
- English poetry--18th century
- Port wine--Early works to 1800
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Commonplace books
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
1487_0001.tif (46.6 MB)
1487_0001_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
1487_0001_web.jpg (251.7 KB)