Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1644 Collegium chymica
- Towneley, John, -1704 Towneley, John, -1704
Call numberMs. Codex 1644
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5980709
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Chemical manuscript with instructions for preparing several hundred substances, both pharmaceutical and alchemical. Entries for a few preparations include references to earlier authorities such as Paracelsus, Ruland, and Glauber. The entries in an alphabetical index in two columns at the end of the volume appear to be in Towneley's hand and to cover the whole volume, but page numbers were added later, both to the manuscript and to the index, only through 194.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title (p. 1).
Extent128 leaves : 210 x 158 (136-155 x 105-110) mm bound to 224 x 175 mm
FoliationPaper, i (19th-century) + 128 leaves + i (19th century); [i-ii], 1-100, 100, 100-175, 178-179, 176-194, [195-250]; early foliation in ink, modern foliation in pencil, upper outer corners.
Binding19th-century calf, blind-tooled, gilt spine title.
- Offered for sale at auction by Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge among the manuscripts of Towneley Hall, 27-28 June 1883, lot 139 (label on spine).
- Sold by Samuel Gedge Rare Books, catalogue 15 (2013), item 122.
- Rijksuniversiteit te Leiden--History--17th century
- Chemistry--Early works to 1800
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Medicine, Magic, mystic, and spagiric--Early works to 1800
- Lecture notes
- Manuscripts, Latin--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1644: Collegium chymica are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5152_0001.tif (82.5 MB)
5152_0001_thumb.jpg (7.1 KB)
5152_0001_web.jpg (389.0 KB)