Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1656 Memorial
- Cunha, Luiz da, 1662-1749
Other related names
- Joseph, King of Portugal, 1714-1777, recipient
- Cassuto, Alfonso, 1910-1990, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1656
(Philadelphia, Rare Book & Manuscript Library, University of Pennsylvania)
- bibid: 6336092
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguagePortuguese, with occasional words in Latin and French
- between 1750 and 1799?
Advice about reform in Portugal, including concerns about the Inquisition, addressed to Prince Joseph, who took an active role in ruling Portugal after his father, King John V, suffered a stroke in 1742.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from cover title; later published under the title Testamento político.
Extent32 leaves : 208 x 150 (173 x 108) mm
CollationPaper, i + 32 + i; 1-8⁴; gathering signatures 1, 3, and 8 visible, upper left recto (f. 1r, 9r, 29r); 1-32, contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto. Catchwords on each page, lower right corner.
BindingContemporary (18th-century) paper wrapper.
- Possible early owner inscription on cover and first leaf.
- Formerly owned by antiquarian bookdealer and collector Alfonso Cassuto (Lisbon; label inside upper cover; embossed stamp, f. 1r); probably purchased in 1982 (pencil note, upper cover).
- Inquisition--Portugal--Early works to 1800
- Kings and rulers--Duties--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Portuguese--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of University of Pennsylvania, Ms. Codex 1656: Memorial are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.