Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1671 Collection of alchemical works on distillation and fermentation
TitleCollection of alchemical works on distillation and fermentation
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1671
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 6293530
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1750 and 1799
Collection of works on distillation, fermentation, and other chemistry-related procedures divided into sections according to vegetable (p. 1), animal (p. 141), or mineral (p. 163). The first section includes general discussion of chemistry and the history of fermentation (p. 77) with a portion devoted to beer (p. 81) as well as practical instructions for making tinctures and spirits of different plant substances such as dragon's blood (p. 119) and rosemary (p. 23) and the preparation of cocoa butter (p. 37). The second section includes subjects such as coagulation (p. 142), the distillation of egg whites (p. 144) and deer horn (p. 152), and the properties of milk (p. 143). The third section encompasses discussion of substances such as sea salt, antimony, gold, silver, mercury, arsenic, and amber. Also includes a detailed list of contents at the beginning (p. i).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent157 leaves : 311 x 207 (299 x 162) mm. bound to 321 x 221 mm
FoliationPaper, iv (contemporary paper) + 157 + i (contemporary paper); [vi], 1-61, [iii], 62-140, [i], 141-162, [ii], 163-185, 187-303; contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 582, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Chemistry--Early works to 1800
- Distillation--Early works to 1800
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1671: Collection of alchemical works on distillation and fermentation are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5166_0001.tif (152.3 MB)
5166_0001_thumb.jpg (3.4 KB)
5166_0001_web.jpg (214.8 KB)
Inside back cover
5166_0326.tif (152.3 MB)
5166_0326_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
5166_0326_web.jpg (211.8 KB)
mscodex1671_wk1_ref.tif (144.2 MB)
mscodex1671_wk1_ref_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
mscodex1671_wk1_ref_web.jpg (225.7 KB)