Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1674 Sefer Raziel HaMalach... etc.
TitleSefer Raziel HaMalach... etc.
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1674
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9962935413503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageItalian, with some passages in Latin, notes in English, and Hebrew characters
Collection of cabalistic works with an emphasis on angels. The primary text is an Italian and Latin translation of excerpts from the Sefer Raziel HaMalach in which Solomon recounts how the angel Raziel delivered a book of divine secrets to Adam and Eve after their expulsion from the Garden of Eden. Raziel was the angel stationed beside God's throne and thus recorded the secret knowledge that was discussed. The text includes instructions for practical magic such as how to attain one's desires (p. 4), cure illness (p. 10), defeat enemies (p. 33), and gain someone's love (p. 53). Also includes sections on divine names, numerological tables, and invocations.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- See also UPenn Ms. Codex 1685 for a copy of this manuscript with a partial English translation in the hand of Charles Rainsford.
Extent61 leaves : 210 x 150 mm. bound to 217 x 154 mm
FoliationPaper, 61; [iv], 1-43, [xi], 1-8, [xlvi], 1-6, [iv]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners; [iv], 1-118; modern pagination in pencil, lower right corners. All references in this record are to the modern pagination.
- Formerly owned by the Jesuit College in Naples (note, p. iii).
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 585, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Angels--Early works to 1800
- Cabala--Early works to 1800
- Magic--Early works to 1800
- Numerology--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Italian--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1674: Sefer Raziel HaMalach... etc. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5669_0001.tif (87.9 MB)
5669_0001_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
5669_0001_web.jpg (332.7 KB)