Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1684 Collection of extracts related to the fraternity of the RC
TitleCollection of extracts related to the fraternity of the RC
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1684
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 6293565
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageEnglish, with some Latin, a few lines in Greek, and Hebrew characters on leaf laid into manuscript
- between 1750 and 1799
Collection of excerpts from treatises concerning Rosicrucianism compiled by and copied in the hand of Charles Rainsford, with a general preface at the beginning (p. xxxi). A letter addressed to Joseph Banks is laid into the manuscript between p. 140-141 and contains Hebrew characters. Includes an alphabetical index at the beginning (p. iii-xxx) and a table of contents at the end (p. 676).
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. i).
Extent357 leaves : 236 x 186 (215 x 145) mm. bound to 246 x 205 mm. +
FoliationPaper, 357; [xxxii], 1-3, [i], 1-149, 148-277, [278-676]; contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary half leather.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 595, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Rosicrucians--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1684: Collection of extracts related to the fraternity of the RC are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5182_0001.tif (120.8 MB)
5182_0001_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
5182_0001_web.jpg (271.0 KB)
Loose note 1, side 1
5182_0716.tif (120.8 MB)
5182_0716_thumb.jpg (3.3 KB)
5182_0716_web.jpg (236.5 KB)
Loose note 1, side 2
5182_0717.tif (120.8 MB)
5182_0717_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
5182_0717_web.jpg (235.1 KB)
Inside back cover
5182_0718.tif (120.8 MB)
5182_0718_thumb.jpg (3.4 KB)
5182_0718_web.jpg (261.9 KB)
mscodex1684_wk1_body0723ref.tif (221.0 MB)
mscodex1684_wk1_body0723ref_thumb.jpg (2.2 KB)
mscodex1684_wk1_body0723ref_web.jpg (86.6 KB)