Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1687 Collection of various tracts from original m.s.s.
TitleCollection of various tracts from original m.s.s.
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1687
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9962935723503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageEnglish, French, and Italian, with occasional words in Greek and Hebrew
Collection of cabalistic and occult works compiled and translated by Charles Rainsford. Includes a letter to a young lady in French (p. 8); a description of paradise (p. 52); discussions of biblical texts such as the book of Ezekiel (p. 52) and the gospel of Matthew (p. 66); and translations of several Italian cabalistic texts (p. 107).
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. i).
Extent182 leaves : 322 x 203 (278 x 170) mm. bound to 334 x 210 mm
FoliationPaper, 182 leaves; [i], 1-94, 100-104, 107-127, [ccxliii]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary green dyed parchment. Page 103-104 has been partially cut out and p. 105-106 has been completely torn out.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 599, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Cabala--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1687: Collection of various tracts from original m.s.s. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5381_0001.tif (160.4 MB)
5381_0001_thumb.jpg (3.4 KB)
5381_0001_web.jpg (213.1 KB)
Inside back cover
5381_0368.tif (160.4 MB)
5381_0368_thumb.jpg (3.0 KB)
5381_0368_web.jpg (183.4 KB)
mscodex1687_wk1_body0371ref.tif (42.9 MB)
mscodex1687_wk1_body0371ref_thumb.jpg (1.7 KB)
mscodex1687_wk1_body0371ref_web.jpg (60.1 KB)