Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1688 Theosophic and cabalistic tracts translated from the Latin edition
TitleTheosophic and cabalistic tracts translated from the Latin edition
- Fludd, Robert, 1574-1637 Fludd, Robert, 1574-1637
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1688
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9962935993503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageEnglish, with occasional words in Hebrew, Greek, and Latin
- between 1750 and 1799
Charles Rainsford's English translation of the first two books of Robert Fludd's Utriusque Cosmi Historia and other works. Includes an alphabetical index (p. iii). Several leaves have been pasted in and are now detached (p. 361-366).
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. i).
Extent240 leaves : 314 x 200 (290 x 140) mm. bound to 320 x 210 mm
FoliationPaper, 240; [xxvi], 1-11, 13-260, 262-354, 356, 356-365, [i], 366, [i], 366-395, 395, 397-449, [iv]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary leather. Upper cover and first quire detached. Spine leather deteriorating. Moisture damage along upper portion of gutter.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 600, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Cabala--Early works to 1800
- Cosmology--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1688: Theosophic and cabalistic tracts translated from the Latin edition are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5590_0001.tif (155.3 MB)
5590_0001_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
5590_0001_web.jpg (229.9 KB)
Inside back cover
5590_0482.tif (155.3 MB)
5590_0482_thumb.jpg (3.4 KB)
5590_0482_web.jpg (234.1 KB)
mscodex1688_wk1_body0000ref.tif (142.6 MB)
mscodex1688_wk1_body0000ref_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
mscodex1688_wk1_body0000ref_web.jpg (239.4 KB)